Couple of tips on fue efficiency

This is the absolute number one as it directly relates to producing force needed to accelerrate mass.
Friction issues are secondary but also very very important.
Starting with good, proper octane grade, fuel in the fuel tank preferably with some lubricant added such as Marvel Mystery Oil, all below can and do significantly affect fuel economy:
1. Fuel lines that are not rusted, fuel filter that is not clogged (change either). 2. Fuel injectors atomizing fuel properly for better, more efficient fuel burn (injector cleaning, or replacement). 3. Good spark plugs make a big difference, especially if worn out (change frequently as TOP (!) performance degrades quickly with most spark plugs). 3. Engine oil of light weight, preferably synthetic for reduced engine friction, likewise change regularly. 4. EGR and exhaust system working properly so excessive obstruction does not exists here. 5. Similarly air delivery system, properly working Idle Air control valve, clean air filter is a must (change frequently, especially in dusty areas). 6. Synthetic oil of proper weight, preferably on the light side, in all manual/auto transmissions, and particularly differentials. 7. Tires properly inflated (slight bias for overinflating). 8. Windows rolled up completely to reduce any drag. 9. Car surface clean, heavily waxed and well polished to reduce surface friction (especially helpful on long distance higher speed trips).
All the above plus proper driving technique will help reduce fuel consumption significantly. One not recommended practice, and in fact illegal in many places, is coasting out of gear, that is in neutral. This can help save some fuel but is very, I repeat, very dangerous, and not cost effective as much more wear is put on the brakes.
Happy Subaru motoring everyone,
MN

I new there were ten things, forgot to mention the O2 (oxygen) sensor. A properly working one can save fuel big time! Probably O2 sensor should be somewhere at the very top of the list.
Anything else, gang?
MN

Good to see that folks out there are really become conscious of fuel, fuel consumption and consumption in general. I hope this new level of awareness becomes more global. I'm sure Subaru drivers, in general, are slightly ahead of the curve in this regard.
--

"MN" < snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
news:HzmTe.1284$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr25.news.prodigy.net...
Grolsch wrote:

if only because we drive "thirsty" cars... or is it because we have lead feet?
--
http://dave.net.nz <- My personal site.

Grolsch wrote:

honestly though i think Subaru is a little behind the curve on making cars with better fuel economy. Always here about toyota, honda, gm, ford, chrysler, and some others about fuel economy but not subaru. i know they have that electric hyrbid but still not really a great choice. yeh subaru owners in general tend to care about the environment but subaru itself needs to do alot more work. just my opinion.
Paul
--
Paul Johnson
Graduate Student - Mechanical Engineering
Paul wrote:

i stand a little corrected..... http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId 6928
Paul

Coasting out of gear (idling engine) uses more fuel in any modern vehicle that shuts off the fuel injectors during coast-down. -Danny
Danny Russell wrote:

eh?
--
Dominic Richens | snipped-for-privacy@alumni.uottawa.ca
"If you're not *outraged*, you're not paying attention!"
MN wrote:
[...] >
What about limiting A/C usage?
"Andy Leszczynski" <leszczynscyATnospam.yahoo.com.nospam> wrote in message wrote in message

Yup. On the limiting side, I'd suggest if possible limiting very high speed driving, AC use, prolonged idling, and weight carried in the trunk.
The AC thing is a bit tricky as not all cars seem to respond equally. My old Corsica 2.8LV6 uses only slightly more gas when the AC is running, but the 2.2L Subaru seems to use a lot. I also have a 1.5L Hyundai that gulps gas like crazy with the AC on. I think that the bigger the engine the less fuel is needed to run the AC (?). Why, how I don't know. Maybe its just a perception as a big engine uses more gas to begin with.
MN
wrote in message

On the AC note, now may be a perfect time to get window tinting. Gas prices are not going down any time soon, while many tinting places are offering Fall discounts.
MN

CNN had a report on A/C vs. fuel economy not too long ago. The test results (same car, same driving conditions, same weather and driver) revealed that A/C usage hampered fuel economy at low speeds, and thus an open window would be an economical alternative. On the other hand, they found that the A/C system yielded BETTER mileage at highway speeds versus an open window due to the aerodynamic effects of an open window. These results were A/C verses windows, obviously using no A/C and the vent only will save gas over both, since you retain the best aerodynamic efficiency and reduce the typical 5 hp gas consumption required by the A/C system.
Mike
wrote in message

I do it this way for other reasons. When it's not too hot to tolerate it, I open the windows as soon as I get in, and leave then open until I get up to highway speeds. Then, due to excessive noise, or discomfort from the buffeting, I'll reluctantly turn on the AC.
One thing I just don't understand is people who get in their cars on a perfect, dry 80 degree day, and drive off with the windows closed and AC on full blast..
On Wed, 07 Sep 2005 14:24:42 GMT, "Mike Lloyd"

I can understand that. Was a changeover speed mentioned? In my mind something around 45mph would seem right.
as far as I recall they just referred to city and highway. do a Google search on it. I'll do the same and let the NG know of anything relevant.
Mike

Perhaps because the percentage of load on the engine is less for a large engine than with a smaller engine.
I unplugged the DRL Resistor, deactivating the DRL's and noticed an immediate fuel consumption improvement.
It's the SILVER colored rectangular block mounted on the passenger side strut that has TWO wires comming out of it. (DO NOT get it mixed up with the one with FOUR wires - leave that one alone)
Unplug the two-wire connector. Headlight will work normally apart from DRL which is a waste of time on a car anyway. DRL is needed for Motorcycles with a low distance visual profile, not a bulbous 4000 pound subaru wagon. ;)
In article <26915$431f2799$d1cc5841$21202

What was the difference? How many MPG, measured in which way?
--
Cam
'02 RS
wrote in message says...

2 to 3 MPG (less pull on the alternator) in city driving It ain't much but every bit helps!
In article <68db0$431f2ef4$d1cc5841$22685

How did you measure this? Torque required to turn the alternator at idle? At driving RPM? Single tank milage? Multiple tank milage?
--
Cam
'02 RS

Site Timeline