power steering pump failed

I have a 99 Outback Legacy (~ 80K miles) and was just informed by the dealer that the power steering pump has failed (along with many oil leak issues) and that the repair is going to be in the tune of $820.

Does this sound right? After a little poking around on the web and on this forum I see that the symptoms we felt were indicative of the p/s pump failing yet I am wary of the price being quoted.

Any thoughts or experience with this?

Thanks,

- Roland

Reply to
kirkor

Hi,

Are you any kind of a wrench yourself? If so, would you think of looking at junk yards and swapping out the pump yourself? It's not a huge job, and the Haynes/Chiltons books usually have enough info the average shade tree guy can do it without much drama, including bleeding the system at the end.

Now, the price you quoted: is that JUST for the pump, or does it include other seals? It seems high for just a pump, but I don't know what a factory pump's going for these days. If seals are part of the quote, you might as well replace timing belts, perhaps a water pump, at the same time. You've gotta get into the engine far enough to do seals that the rest of the items shouldn't add much more than the price of parts to the overall job cost. Also, don't forget to get a "second opinion" on price--even asking about it may yield a little discount!

Best of luck,

Rick

Reply to
Rick Courtright