Power Steering

I have a 94 Toyota Corolla and it appears that the power steering is going out.

My question - is it easy to put in a new one?

How much should I pay a friend who knows a little something about cars?

How much do you think the part will cost?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Reply to
John

What's going? What's it doing?

Depending on the symptoms, it could be the pump, a hose (or both) or the rac and pinion assy itself. None of this is very hard if you have the right stuff.

The pump will take a couple of wrenches. For the hoses add patience. For the R&P, add a lift...

You can do the R&P without a lift. But I pay someone who has a lift to do this, since I really don't like working upside down and backwards on a creeper with something leaking into my face that weighs 30 lbs and is going to plummet Earthward as soon as you remove the last bolt... ;)

Reply to
Hachiroku

It's making noise when I turn the wheel. Also, sometimes in the morning it's super hard to turn. Then I drive down the street and it's fine. I can be stopped at a light and turn my steering to the left or right and you can here this loud noise. I have had a few friends kind of look at it and they said it's probably the power steering.

Reply to
John

First thing to do is to check the fluid level in the power steering reservoir. Check with the engine off. If the fluid level is low, top if off with the proper fluid, which will be noted on the reservoir cap or dipstick, probably Dexron III automatic transmission fluid.

Reply to
Ray O

I've checked that a few weeks back and topped it off.

Reply to
John

First things first. You're suggesting you might have this fixed by a friend who knows a little something about cars. This leads to two questions:

1) Where do you live? Is it winter there now? How cold is it these days? 2) If yes to question #1, does your friend have a heated environment in which to work on your car?

Humor me. There's a good reason for these questions.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Check again. If it is low, then you have a power steering fluid leak, and low power steering fluid level will make the power steering pump noisy.

Noises are difficult to diagnose without hearing them first hand. Some additional information would help in diagnosis. I missed the vehicle model, model year, mileage, and recent repair and maintenance history.

What kind of noise are you getting when you turn the steering wheel?

Is it a hissing, groaning, whining, screeching, squeaking, knocking, or clunking?

Do you hear tire squeal when going around corners?

Is the noise coming from under the hood or does it sound like it is coming from right behind the steering wheel?

The type of noise will point the technician to the area to check first.

Does the steering feel notchy or take extra effort when turning the steering wheel?

While you are in the "check it out mode, check to see that the cold tire pressure is at least at the automaker's recommended tire inflation pressure, preferably 4 to 6 PSI over to improve tire life and fuel economy.

With the engine off, check to make sure that the accessory drive belt (what used to be called "fan belts") is in good condition, with no glazing, cracks, or missing chunks on either side of the belt and that the belt will deflect between 1/2 and 1 inch when depressed between pulleys.

With this additinal information, we can try to point you in the right direction.

Reply to
Ray O

Pumps are usually a whining or whirring noise, and it may only be because the fluid is low. Make sure it is between min/max and see if the noise goes away. If it is a leak, check to see if it is in the rack or a hose. An aftermarket hose will run ~$45 for the low side and $65 for the high side. A rebuilt rack will be about $245, or $$$$$$ for OEM from Toyota.

Reply to
Hachiroku

I live in S. California so it's hot & sunny most of the time.

No snow where I live.

Reply to
John

OK. Never mind. I was going to comment on the sheer insanity of people working on cars outdoors in stupid weather, when they have other choices.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Like?

Reply to
hachiroku

Renting space in a HEATED garage?

Reply to
sharx35

on cars outdoors in stupid weather, when they have

LOL... Being a weather reporter here in southern California must be the easiest job around. Our idea of bad weather here is the wind. If the ground gets wet it is raining. And a Storm that makes the TV news go crazy might only drop a half inch of rain.

Reply to
Danny G.

They come and go, but seem to have ended in the very early 80's. I think the liabilities overwhelmed them and they gave up.

Reply to
Hachiroku

If its the R&P, doesn't he need an alignment afterwards?

Reply to
EdV

Yes.

Reply to