Stiff power steering after pump was replaced

I have a 1999 polo 1.6 gl and when I bought it a month ago the power steering was great, very easy to turn. After a while it started to make grinding noises and then it got more stiff. I filled up the fluid which was low and got my leaking pump replaced. The VW garage replaced the pump this afternoon but the power steering although working is still very stiff. I pointed this out to them and they said that the fluid levels were fine. I told them that the steering was still much more stiff than when I bought the car a month ago. They got in the car with me and turned the wheel and said that the steering was meant to be like this. I am sure that the steering is still not as easy now as it was a month ago, as then I could nearly turn it with one finger. The garage say everything is working correctly however I am positive the steering is more stiff than it should be any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Edwin

Reply to
eq

The old one may have been too light!! Ask them to check the pump pressures, it may be that your old pump was maladjusted to a higher pressure than it should have been (hence it failed), whereas this one may be right, if the pump pressures are wrong then the new pump is faulty.

Mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

I'd say being able to turn it with one finger is too light. If it's heavy as hell with the engine stopped but comfortable with it running, I'd say it's OK.

Reply to
Chris Bartram