Premature corrosion?

Driver side fender of our older car (Subaru Impreza, 1993, FWD) is corroding with an amazing speed - what was a barely visible spot a year and a half ago has now become an apple-sized hole with rust spreading as far as 5 inches from it. Kinda unfrotunate since other things appear to work OK and the car has only 70 Kmi on it (single owner and regular maintanence).

One thing I find somewhat strange is that there is no rust whatsover anywhere else on the car. The fender that has rust all over it is actually not "native" to the car. The car was 1 year old when there was a minor accident which resulted in the replacement of the left fender (by dealer, at the other party's cost). It certainly has no practical implications now, 9 years after, but I am just curious - is it possible that something about the way the new part was installed ended up causing it's premature corrosion? If yes, what do I need to know/do in order to avoid this possibility in the future?

Additionally, I have some practical questions: What is the most cost efficient way of dealing with it? My intention is to keep this car as long as it runs OK and costs less in repairs that half the payment of the new car. I can see few possibilities (but don't have knowledge to choose between them): 1a) Ignore the rust. As the "epicenter" of the rust if right behind the wheel and this part of the fender does not seem to cover anything of importance or serve any significant structural role, one may just hope that it will be slow enough to reach catastrophic proportions only when the car starts falling apart. 1b) Same as 1a but with the rationale "wait all the way until it wears off to the point it simply has to be repaired". 2) Try to find someone who'd do some crude welding job - cut away everyhting than might be rusted, and stick in place anything that will not within 5 years or so. (I don't care about easthetics in this case - any piece of metal and any paint/coat is fine with me as long as it does not continue to rust; but is t feasible?) 3) Have body shop to install a used fender instead of the current one. 4) Just buy and install a new part.

Just trying to learn and make an educated choice! Thanks for helping out!

DK

Reply to
D.K.

Hi,

would cut the rusty part out of the fender, paint the wounded iron and look for a thin aluminium sheet and cover the hole by reviting. Reveting does not burn or weaken the body. Does not look nice in other persons opinion, but is fully ok. Just look at the British Land Rover, the whole body is revitet together.......and you can also pass the technical test....

Regards from Germany Tino

Reply to
Tino_Spiegler

Reply to
atec_77

They probably replaced the fender with one that is not galvanized. If you replace it with one that is, it will last.

97T
Reply to
97T

That's what I was thinking.

Good reason to insist on genuine factory parts.

Reply to
John Varela

This is why i said there should be paint or anything else between the Aluminium and the steel. and........it will by all means last for more then 10 years. In Bodyrepairs are also aluminiumrivets used between two ironsheets.....In generall you are right but in this case thin aluminium sheet can be nicely formed to cover wholes in fenders. this is in my opinion less violation to a fender. Welding is not fine.....and replacing is .......costiv.....

Even Land Rover is reviting aluminium sheets on to steel-frame and Land Rover body is well known as a long lasting car and is used all over the world since more than

50 years.....

Regards Tino

Reply to
Tino_Spiegler

Thanks to everyone who replied! So it seems I was stupid enough 9 years ago to assume that a genuine part is installed (I wouldn't be able to tell the difference anyway). I don't have time and patience to chase insurance 9 years after it and it looks like I should be able to replace the whole thing again for $200. Tolerable.

DK

Reply to
D.K.