Problem shifting from second to first gear

Please help! I have Subaru Forester 2003, recently I've noticed that I can not downshift from 2nd gear to 1st when driving with speed between 12mph(18km/h) -

1mph (1.6km/h). Actually I have to stop car befor I can dwonshift to 1st gear. Has anybody experienced this problem? Does anyone know what's causing it? Dealer didn't help at all.

Thank you.

Reply to
Alex

It's your syncros. I've had this problem on every Subie I've owned and it seems to start after about 20K miles. The syncros just get worn down a bit. My Legacy has over 215K and it's been like that ever since 20K.

You can put light pressure on the stick as you get down to around 5mph and then rev it a little bit so the gears will mesh a little more easily. The other option is to get into the tranny and replace them, although I don't think it's worth it.

Mike

Reply to
Mike G.

Are you saying you can downshift to 1st if you are going _more_ than 12mph?

Reply to
Dominic Richens

Never thought this was a 'problem'. With any manual transmission I've ever driven, this is just the way it works. You have to double clutch to go from

2nd to first if not at a stop... The faster your moving, the more gas you have to give. Here's a good write up on it:

Disclaimer: Of course, this is not to say that _all_ manual transmission cars behave like this, just those in my experience...

HTH

Reply to
Rory

You need to double clutch to get it to go in at that speed. You are asking alot from your synchros. Also, try some Redline MT90 in the transaxle - it will make a noticeable difference as well as minutely increasing your acceleration and gas mileage.

-Rob

Reply to
Rob Munach

No, I just would never try to downshift to first gear if I'm going faster than 12mph (actually 8mph would be right)

Reply to
Alex

Thank you all. I will try Redline MT90. My car has only 13K (km) or about 8K miles. I was able to downshift from 2 to 1 until recently. It didn't happen overnight but in about one month period. I guess I have to live with it.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

I've 230,000+ on my 91 legacy and the bote d'vitesse is nice. into first just fine.

i dunno

Reply to
mac

I was pretty sure that was what you meant to say, but I didn't want to assume anything :-)

So then your 1st gear synchro is burnt out, as other's have said. Same thing with my 95 Legacy.

I have developed this habit of using my 1st gear to judge when I have "stopped" at a stop sign. I slow down while putting light pressure on the stick and when I'm going about 1mph, it'll pop in and I'll let the clutch in and accellerate away. The other day I was driving my mother's brand new Echo and almost ran the stop sign because it popped into 1st at about

20mph!! I could hear a strained "vrrrooom!" coming from the gearbox as the main shaft sped up to match the drive shaft, so I gather it can't be good for the syncho to shift going any faster than 5mpg.

Anyhow, it will likely cost you 500-1000$ to fix, so I would recommend you just get used not using first gear, except to start from stop, or learn to double-clutch :-)

cheers!

Reply to
Dominic Richens

I drive on some really curvy roads (many curves are posted 15 mph) that necessitate lots of shifting but I never ever shift into first except pulling away from a complete stop. Why would you want to shift into first going 12 mph? The H4 has plenty of torque. This question has come up around here before. With all respect what the hell are you trying to do to your car?

Reply to
Ceph Lopod