1996 Passat shifting problem

I recently (2 weeks, 500 miles) purchased a 96 passat GLX, today in stop and go traffic I suddenly could not find 1st or second gear! No lead up at all, no grinding, no popping out of gear just went for first and found third, looked for second...only fourth! Any quick help is appreciated as I need to get this car home (35 miles) after work. It has 90K, with no records, clutch seems OK, won't be for long with no first or second.

Thanks

please respond to group and snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com

Reply to
Rick Tonole

UPDATE:

Broken plastic linkage part, $21.95 local VW dealer had it in stock 15 minute fix!

Reply to
Rick Tonole

great!!! thanks for the update too.

dave