Eclipse Transmission Problem?

I have a 99 Eclipse automatic non Turbo. I've never had this problem before. I drove it to the store, parked and then I restarted it and drove off. The car is now stuck in low gear. It will not change gears and the speedometer is registering 0mph at all times. Then the service light came on. Everything else seems ok. Any ideas what's causing this? Is this something I can fix myself? Car has 41,000 miles on it. I bought it new 4 years ago. Please help.....

Tim

/1999 Eclipse automatic won't shift when in Drive, seems like it is /stuck in 2nd gear. Problem was intermittent, now seems permanent. Any /ideas what is causing this? /Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Tim

Possibly the speed sensor died. That could possibly force the car into limp-in mode (aka the car won't shift out of second gear). The speed sensor is a necessary piece of the ABS system and may be necessary for the transmission control system as well.

The only way to get a better answer is the pull the error codes from the car.

Regards, CMF

Reply to
Chris Ferris

simpleton