radiator overflow tank unsealed?

I just purchased a used 2001 Outback Wagon. One of the first things I did was flush out the radiator and the extra tank. It was very very dirty in there. The cause (as I see it) is that the hose from the main tank to the overflow (white plastic) tank is not sealed where it connects to the overflow tank. Is it supposed to be sealed? I have considered sealing it with silicone glue, which would work fine, unless there is a reason for it not to be sealed. Any thoughts?

Reply to
matt

I'm not familiar with the car, but if the hose is on a barb, then it should be tight - replace the hose. If it just drops thru a hole with obviously intentional clearance, then that's venting - leave it alone. It's normal for the coolant in the overflow tank to be pretty dirty looking.

Bill Putney

Reply to
E Smith