Re: 1990 Subaru Loyale Wagon Spark Problems

From: bkeller13

>I?m having the same problem with an 88 DL wagon. I?d appreciate any >help. Thanks >"eld> > Car died while driving. Power in battery, engine turns over, > > alternator new, starter moving. pulled into shop and got no > > spark > > tested ignition coils, replaced coils and high tension wire. > > Still, no spark. > > So no electricity going to the coils, when I get back to the > > car I'm going to check and clean the connections and the wires > > but at a loss really. > > > > What to do next? > > Thanks

Hey guys, you don't change the coils and then decide that since you put new coils on and have no spark, that there is no electricity going to the coils. Stop for a minute and think about how to troubleshoot a problem.

Do you have current to the coils? Use a voltmetter or a 12v troubleshooting light to find out!!! Don't replace parts as a trouble shooting step, unless there is no other way to check something (which happens, but not at THIS stage of troubleshooting). Also consider that with older Subies, you have to make sure that the "ground" part of the circuit is getting back to the "Negative" battery post. You can use a test light or voltmeter for this as well.

Now please get a 12v testing light or a voltmeter and try "trouble shooting" rather than changing parts. Auto books can help if you need more precise help on this. But learn the method, and then you will be ready for the next electrical problem that comes along.

If there is no 12v getting to the coils, then you can use your light or meter to start backing up the electrical wires and connectors and ignition switch, etc. to find out where the juice stops flowing.

By the way, lots of other things are required to make spark other than good coils and 12v going to them. A broken timing belt, for example.

The Ole Factory rep (not Subaru)

Reply to
<Rep

This is classic. Problem is a broken timing belt. No spark because the distributer is not turning.

Reply to
johninKY