Re: 1993 Subaru Legacy: sluggish window motors?

Our 1993 Legacy has real slow window motors, and the sunroof is maybe a

> little slow as well. The windows struggle to close, and the auto-stop on > the driver's one doesn't work. Does anybody else have this problem? Is > it the motors, or does something need to be lubricated, or what? The car > was bought used, so I don't know how strong the motors were to begin > with, but they're weaker than any others I've seen.

Of course, 93 Legacy windows were no speed demons to start with, but;

As was already said, check the grounds, but since this is so universal, it is what I have probably seen a hundred times. The last owner just didn't use these devices enough to keep them oxide free internally.

Check on most older cars with electric windows and you will find that the windows used the most will work the best and fastest (unless they burned out) and the windows used the least will get slower and slower until they often just stop working altogether.

It is beat to open and close your electric windows at least once a month just to keep the parts moving and keep the oxide from building up inside the motors.

If you are up to it, this can usually be fixed by just removing the window motor (just?) cleaning it up by removing all oxide, scraping between the connectors, greasing and reassembling.

But test first. A lot of these windows use switches which are just contacts on printed circuit boards so be sure you are getting juice to the motor and therefore it is the motor. Also check the motor ground, if you still have juice on the exit side of the motor (the "ground" when it is supposed to be working) then you have a bad ground. Other ways exist of course like good old high amperage continuity testers. Use one with lots of juice because little electronics testers can read enough continuity to make you think you have a ground because it accepts so little flow as a connection, but then the big amps come along to wind the window, and ,oooopps, there is not enough continuity !!.

The 'Ole Rep

Reply to
<rep