Re: Another newbie 2000 Forester question - Clock is fixable

This is apparently common on Foresters, and usually a solder joint that cracks in the clock, which is easily fixable if you can do fine soldering (or know someone who can). There was a post here last week about it from Tom, here is a copy:

A lot of the Forester clocks seem to quit or go intermittant. Mine was a cracked solder joint. To fix, you need a fine tip soldering iron and half an hour. Maybe a resistor, but mine just needed resoldering.

Pry out the clock at the retaining tabs at the top, and unplug the connector. Take it to a table before you take it apart or you'll lose the tiny buttons... Remove the circuit board and find the resistor with "510" marked on top. If it's cracked in half, you'll have to change it. But probably you can just resolder one end. If you need a new one, it's 51 Ohms, 2 Watts. Find it in the DigiKey catalog

Ed B.

----- Original Message ----- From: "ruzicka" Newsgroups: alt.autos.subaru Sent: Thursday, July 21, 2005 9:47 PM Subject: Another newbie 2000 Forester question

Can anyone explain to me how to remove/replace the digital clock that is > above the windshield? Mine seems to be dead, but rather than spend ~$100 > for the dealer to replace it, I'd rather do it myself (if it is not too > difficult). > > Thanks! > > P. Ruzicka > >
Reply to
ed

I did see this post last week as well, but I was still unsure exactly as to how to "pry out" the clock. Can I simply somehow insert a screwdriver or knife into the (almost negligible) gap around the clock and pry it out? Is it advisable to pry from the front of the clock? The back or sides? This is the main area I am unsure of.

Thanks again!

P. Ruzicka

Reply to
ruzicka