91 Maxima - Clock doesnt work

The clock doesnt work on my '91 Maxima - how can I fix this?

Reply to
DeeLove

If by "does not work" you mean the digits do not light up, maybe this post of mine from 1999 can help.

Alejandro Sierra May 22 1999, 2:00 am show options Newsgroups: alt.autos.nissan.maxima From: Alejandro Sierra - Find messages by this author Date: 1999/05/22 Subject: Re: Digital clock in 90 GXE Reply to Author | Forward | Print | Individual Message | Show original | Report Abuse

I had the same problem in my 94. I dont really know if the clock is the same as the 90 or 91 but i fixed mine as follows:

To remove the clock you have to remove the instrument panel molding. To do this you have to remove the A/C switch molding too.

After opening the clock (releasing the snaps in the housing and removing the single screw in between the electrical terminals) you will see a resistor that looks like a tan or grayish porcelain cylinder with two leads coming out from its ends. It is about 5/8" long and 1/4" in diameter and it is the biggest one in the clock.

The problem in my clock was that the solder between the resistor leads solder and the electronics board was cracked causing the intermitent failure. I resoldered it trying to keep the resistor as far from the electronics board as possible. The solder breaks because this resistor gets extremly hot in normal use.

Tools needed were: medium and small size phillips screwdrivers, 25 watts max soldering iron, solder. All the tools should not cost more than $25

Hope this helps.

Reply to
AS