Re: Loyale Clock Fix??

Hi:

> > Years ago there was a posting on how to fix the digital clock in the Loyale. > Something to do with a 50w resistor to compensate for the high current that > melts the solder on the board causing the clock to fail. > > Anyone remember the fix? > > Please let me know. > > THX > > Peter

Here is what I copied from that previous reply. Hope it helps:

Subaru CLOCK: It doesn't sound like you would want to bother repairing the clock, but if it is like the one in my Loyale, they fail due to a design weakness. Dimming the display is done with a simple resistor, which is in the circuit when the headlights are on. As this is the case for prolonged periods, the resistor is hot for many hours and eventually fails due to metal migration from the solder joint. The fix is simply to dismantle the clock and resolder the joint, a simple process and the resistor is easily spotted since the joints discolor due to the heating/migration. In my car it took about 5 years to fail, and when I sold the car last year it hadn't happened a second time after another four years.

Reply to
D H

I remember the post; a Google search should find it. As I recall it required replacing an existing resistor with one of greater wattage.

Reply to
Curtis