Re: Automatic gear shift won't move on 1996 outback.

check the fuse for the brake lights. Mine blew out and as a result, the switch wouldn't engage.

1996 Outback 2.5L > > Problem: Car on, brake engaged, can't depress gear shift button to move > out of park. > > So far - took apart the center console to see the mechanism that stops the > shifter from going down if the brakes aren't engaged, it's not moving out > of the way even though the brakes are engaged. > > I can manually move it with my hands and get the car in gear, but I need a > permanent solution. > > Possible cause? I've been having odd electrical problems - my battery is > corroded and the ABS light comes on intermittenly, the fan for the heater > sometimes stops, and the universal door lock doesn't always work. These > problems are never permanent. Could this whole gear shift thing be > related to the system thinking the brakes aren't working? > > Any suggestions? Thanks in advance. >
Reply to
Supertaster