SHIFT LOCK OVERRIDE

My 1990 4 Cylinder 4Runner has a shift lock override button on the console at the front of the gear indicator near Park. I got this 4 Runner from my dad who owned it from new. As far as I know, he never had to press the override button to select a gear. He only had to press the button on the selector knob. Now the shift lever won't budge without depressing the over ride button.

Does anyone know how to correct this?

Reply to
Alan McLeod

Ive seen this before, and more often than not the brake lamp switch is the cause. There is a switch just under the brake pedal arm that turns on the brake light when the pedal is depressed. As a safety feature, your foot must be on the brake to get out of park, and the car determines this by whether or not the brake lights are on. If they are not, you stay in park. No switch, no lights, no drive. So, check to see if you have brake lights.

Reply to
qslim

I know it's been a long time coming but thanks for the advise. We replaced the switch and everything worked as you said it would. I have a few projects on the go and this one had been a low priority hence the long delay in following up.

Thanks Aga> Ive seen this before, and more often than not the brake lamp switch is the

Reply to
Alan McLeod