Re: Extended Warranty

Thanks! And you're right - I will hit the miles before the time. And I change the oil and filter every 3K even though Subbie says 7500. Hopefully I'll trade in / up by 60k.

> > Question: My 03 OBW has a 5 year 60K Power train warranty. Not sure how > long > > this has been the norm but now they want to sell me a 6 year 60K warranty > > for over 1K. I could see this price if the car was 3/36 like the old days > > but to pay over 1K ($1284.72) for ONE YEAR and NO miles of extra warranty > > doesn't seem right. Yes it covers everything but still... > > Does anyone know if this may be an error or something because the price > was > > based on the old warranty and not the 5/60? Or is this normal? My wife's > > Honda is 3/36 and they want 900 for 6/60 bumper to bumper w/ rental car. I > > did read that the price is negotiable and some dealers in New England sell > > it for less but still - only til 60k? I thought maybe it meant 6/60 OVER > and > > ABOVE the warranty but it does not say that anywhere. There's other plans > > too but ALL are for 6 year MAX and XX miles. So for a min of $1K I can buy > > just ONE year of extra coverage (3 years of extra bumper to bumper). Any > > opinions? > > Jim / NJ > > > > Most extended warranties are a waste of money. Particularly in something as > dependable as a Subaru, I'd pass on an extended warranty. Just do proper > maintanence and you shouldn't have to worry about anything. Besides, if > you're like many people you'll hit the 60k in less than 5 years, anyway so > the extra year would definately be a waste. > >
Reply to
Jim

Funny. I bought my 03 Forester about a month ago in Columbus Ohio. Got into the finance room and they tried to sell me the same thing. I declined, as i have read that is a major rip off.

He went ahead and threw it in anyway. For free!!! and , yes, i checked his numbers. i had a loan calculator.

He said that they had monies to give away for promotions and i was in the right place at the right time. if they don't use the give aways, they will not give them next year.

I went over everything with a fine toothed comb and then happily signed.

i have sense read the contract more thoroughly etc. and i am sure glad i didn't pay for this, because like the other posters say, it is essentially worthless.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Smith