Re: Head Gaskets - repeat failure

Rick Courtright wrote;

> wrote; >> Also, good rebuilt parts from reputable companies like NAPA >> and such are just as good or better than factory parts in most cases. > >Hi, >Overall I agree with what you had to say. >And I'm not going to argue with your statements concerning rebuilt parts >for AMERICAN cars. I would venture a guess this is because the people >doing "domestic" aftermarket remanufacturing are probably also working >for the factories.

Would you like to define an AMERICAN car for me? Most of your smaller sized "American" cars use at least "foreign" engines, transmissions and under hood accessories.

But my experience with foreign brands says the OEM replacement parts are >ALMOST always superior to ANY aftermarket units.

My experience is that was true about 20 years ago. Today, reman. is a big industry done in big factories and not a bunch of little shops.

There are exceptions of >course: for example, going to buy a rebuilt Bosch alternator for a >German car from XYZ Auto Parts.......

Whoa... I didn't say from XYZ, I said from reputable companies like NAPA. Big difference!!!

and opening the box to see a >"Remanufactured by Bosch" sticker pretty much puts worry aside.

The little sticker that says "Made in Korea" in fine print ? But of course, whatever puts your mind at ease is the most important factor, so what ever turns you on, go for it.

This difference seems to bear a certain correlation to the overall sales >figures of a marque. In other words, you're more likely to be ok on the >aftermarket with a Toyota Camry part than a Subaru part, simply because >Toyota probably sells as many Camries in a year as Subaru sells total >units in five! My Subaru parts guy "jokes" that aftermarket parts for >Subies are almost guaranteed not to fit. I'm not so sure he's joking. >Others' mileage may vary...

I have no statistics on your theory. But I have no problem with quality nor fit for the Subaru parts I buy from reputable parts companies like NAPA (no, I have nothing to do with NAPA, they are just the best near where I live). Maybe your Subaru guy has trouble looking up Subaru parts.

RedCrow

Reply to
<RedCrow