Re: Need advice for 2001 Forester brake pads

I have 40k miles and was told I have a few thousand miles left on the

> original pads. Any advice on replacement pads? Are after market brands > like Raybestos better than OEM pads?

Braking practices vary, as does pad wear, but my two 99 Forester's have almost 80 and almost 90 thousand miles on them, and the pads in front have a LOT of wear left, and the rear has sufficient wear not to even think of doing them anytime soon. I would check them yourself before going on the commonly stated response you got from someone. I also would be careful about whether or not the rotors need to be faced (ground), since I have read a few responses that suggest they may not have much room for grinding. I wouldn't want to have to replace the rotors anytime soon if that could be avoided. Brake pad wear on our Foresters, at least, has been very good, and we do live in reasonably mountainous terrain (not as bad as western states high country, but in the mid-Atlantic Appalachians.)

Reply to
D H

Jim Untch