grinding noise coming from front of forester.

hello.

i'm curious about these wheel bearings problems people have been having. is there a sound associated with it?

i have a 2004 forester x, and everytime i do a slow turn of the wheel, say, like turning into a parking space, i hear this griding noise.

i've mentioned it to the subaru service people, but they couldn't replicate it. i hear it everytime!

could this be a wheel bearing problem? any help would be much appreciated. thanks. daniel.

Reply to
rastra

year, miles, history, recent work,engine, transmission,etc. would help MOST of the issue with WBs has been on the rear. Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

thanks carl.

2004 forester x automatic 28,000 miles service, i.e. oil changes, all up to date

my problem is in the front. there's this annoying grinding sound when i do a slow turn, as in turning into a parking spot. just want to know if this is normal.

thanks! daniel.

Reply to
rastra

yikes - possible 'torque bind'. (surprised the dealer didn't find this)

Torque bind basically is occurs when the AWD system engages all 4 wheels under inappropriate conditions - ie. dry, skid-free pavement. SOMTHING is either 'lying' to the transmission which thinks a wheel is slipping (use of a 'donut spare' or mixing sizes - even wear conditions - of tires) OR failure of one or more of the following, Duty Solenoid 'C', 'clutch pack' in tranny tailshaft area or possibly some wiring or gummed up valve seat in tranny. One thing to do (after confirming tires are OK/matching,etc. - circumference 'should' be within 1/4" of each other) check the manual for 'emergency spare use' and under the hood you should find a fuse box whixh will have a spare fuse and an empty slot likely marked FWD. put the spare fuse (15A IIRC) in there. There probably will be a FWD light in the instrument cluster and , test drive the car in slow/tight turns to see if the problem is better/gone. If it isn't, likely the 'C' solenoid AT LEAST is bad. If it is gone, anything from a tranny flush and refill - to a rebuilt tranny may be required. The site was down earlier to day - but the guys at

might be helpful. try searching the issue there. Or maybe someone here knows of a Forester specific forum. I own an H^ OBW auto and a WRX stick. Mostly just spouting what I've read on the issue. Not uncommon.

Hope it's something easy like mixed tires (uh - fix that immediately if so)

I suppose I couldv'e misread your post and you have a STEERING problem.

let us know how it goes OK?

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Also, do you only HEAR it or does the car kinda 'buck' or 'pulse'?

sorry - shoulda asked that before the other crap I wrote! hah!

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

carl, thanks for the reply.

my car only pulses/bucks when i go to and from park, reverse, drive.......never thought it could be a problem.

i guess steering could be another possibility, but i don't hear the grinding sounds when turning at a higher rate of speed. only in slow turns.

told subaru service dept about it last time i was there, and they said they couldn't replicate it, which was strange.

i figured it may be just an AWD thing, but a grinding sound? c'mon. i've never drive an AWD car before my forester, but that sounds crazy.

i'll tell them about it next time i'm there.

thanks. daniel.

Reply to
rastra

If you don't 'feel' any lurching when this occurs, sound only, then it won't be torque bind. Take a tech for a ride with you or try a different shop.

good luck

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

I'm betting it is someting with his brakes. When the pads on my 98 Forester wore down the first indication was a scraping sound at low speed when turning the wheel.

Reply to
flyfisher7

That would be good if that's it, and the mileage is about right for a grocery getter. But I wonder why the shop didn't check pad wear? Also, should be alittle more 'squeal' sounding. I dunno. good idea though.

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Usually a wheel bearing is indicated by a grinding sound, or feeling, when you steer gently from left to right on a straight road. That loads up the bearing by putting more pressure on it. Grinding in slow turns is usually a CV joint. When you say slow turns are you steering lock to lock, or just going around a corner?

Reply to
Sheldon

Reply to
Black WRX

See torque bind discussion above.

Reply to
Ratatooie

thanks guys for all the insight.

i hope it's only a brake pad, and nothing more.

sheldon - the sound is a low grinding noise when i turn, as opposed to the higher pitch sound of the tires turning on pavement. haha...i do that all the time when parking at work, but when i turn into a parking spot, the noise is totally different.

not sure if i'm turning lock to lock.....stupid me, should have observed this. i'll let you know what i find.

my 30,000 is coming up soon......i'll keep you updated.

thanks again.

daniel.

Reply to
rastra

It is not likely to be a brake pad, which you would hear all the time not only on turning. Noise when turning is usually 1) CV joint; 2) axle gone bad; 3) torque bind. Hope you've been saving your pennies.

Reply to
BobN

It's a long shot but cheap. Check that your lugnuts are tight.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Good idea. I think we should also ask, would you hear this sitting still? Just swinging the wheel back and forth?

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Lug nuts are a definite possibility. In my experience (non-subie) a wheel bearing or loose lug nuts will typically make more noise when you load that side, so if it's a left bearing, it will make more noise on a sharp RIGHT turn (which causes the weight to shift onto the outer/left side). If it occurs the same in either direction, either both bearings are failing equally (unlikely) or it's something else.

Dan

Reply to
Dan