Brake rotors down to minimum specs.

I have a 2000 Carmy. My dealer told me the thickness of the rotors and brake pads are all down to the minimum specs for the front brakes and suggested to replace all of them. Is it okay to use the rotors at the minimum spec and replace only the brake pads since the rotors are a big cost? I'd like a second opinion from you. Thanks.

Reply to
Nemo

The In news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, Nemo being of bellicose mind posted:

PERSONALLY... when rotors get worn to the minum, I toss them. $90+ per rotor may seem expensive but a Canadian made aftermarket is about $55 and a cheapo Chinese one about $30. I'd buy the $55 one. If you want some comparisons, go price out some full sized pickup truck rotors.

Reply to
Philip®

...and if you find a good friend who can buy aftermarket stuff, they can get you good deals.

I got my aftermoarket Brembo rotors for only $70cdn each!

Reply to
hlee

Beware of any rotors made in India... I made that mistake, they warped in no time...

Reply to
ROBMURR

If you're rotors have never been turned - there is minimal wear from the OEM pads on them. Replacing them on 3rd pad replacement is maybe typical. Surely not on first pad replacement (unless metal to metal) and questionable on 2nd..

Reply to
Wolfgang