2000 Passat rear brake pads

so it is finally time to change the rear pads on my sisters 200 Passat V6, not 4WD. the dealer said there were 2-3 mm left.
what are the stock pads? orgainc, ceramic, semi-metallic?
whats the difference between organic and ceramic?
Semimetallic. I just go to www.germanautoparts.com or www.parts4vw.com and order what I need for my car.
Google ceramic brake pads to read sales info or go to German Auto parts for a list of options.
On Sat, 18 Oct 2008 19:19:03 -0700, "Tube Audio"

A couple of things on brake pads.
Soft pads = longer wearing rotors but much higher pad wear. Hard pads = shorter wearing rotors, but the pads will last much longer.
Failing warps and severe gouges, and writing for myself, I would prefer to keep an eye on the pads and replace pads more often to preserve the rotors. I will not "turn" rotors, and am wary even of 'truing" them as they are the critical heat-sink in the whole shebang. Brake fade is *no* fun at all. Our VW Eurovan Camper is no lightweight and sees a *LOT* of hills in its travels.
After that - what Jim wrote.
Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA
Harder pads= faster breaking, less stopping distance, more dust and noise

I am not so sure of the "less stopping distance" bit. ABS pretty much maximizes braking power under threshold-braking conditions whatever the composition of the pads. In such cases it is the heat-absorbing capacity of the rotor that determines brake behavior overall - and the tires and road conditions that determine braking distance and skid behavior overall - again, NOT the pads.
Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA
In rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Do you buy the "more dust" bit?

It is all dust, eventually. The organics and softer composition pads do tend to hang around more - sticky. So I would think that harder pads might give a conception of less dust.
As to dust on the road - Not worth comment.
Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA
According to rockauto.com, the OEM is ceramic. I don't know what VW uses for OEM (EBC, etc), but Akebono has worked well for typical driving.
AKEBONO Part # EUR768A More Info {Includes electronic wear sensor.; Original Equipment Ceramic} Ceramic; J-IV w/280mm rotor; Includes electronic wear sensor.; Front $73.89
Check www.akebonobrakes.com for explanation on ceramic pads. I'd get ceramic instead of organic.