Re: Notes on coolant change

Got around to this chore this afternoon. Pulled the overflow bottle

> (which was dry, I really need to pay more attention to maintenance) > and found 2 lumps of yellow/brown material in the bottom.

Uh oh. How's yer head gasket?

-- Todd H.

Todd H.

Well, except for a little headache and a stiff neck.....

Oh, you meant the car. Appears to be OK. Car was at the dealer recently and no mention was made of leaking. Also no oil in the overflow tank (a dead giveaway on my older Saab) and no sign of contamination in the oil.

Bob Just another nice basic flake. (and old fart in training)

International Pipe-raising Day, Feb. 20th

Reply to
Bob Landry

Don't let the dealer tell you about it--be certain to ask before

100k. That coolant went somewhere. You own a Subaru, so, sad as it may be, you statistically own an imminent head gasket failure.

I'd take it back and tell them specifically that you spotted the coolant bottle empty, and are aware of head gasket problems with these vehicles, and want them to check for external as well as internal leaking. They won't volunteer it, but if you make a stink, you may get a new hg out of it. Read more about why I'm making a deal about this. You and I have lots of company, and i don't want you to wait too long to report the issue of abnormal coolant consumption as I did:

-- Todd H.

Todd H.