rear tires worn smooth

Help! When I rotated the tires on my 04 Forester I noticed, with alarm, that the inside tread of each of the rear tires was worn smooth! The outside tread shows substantial wear but there is still some tread on it. The tire on the right side was worn more than the one on the drivers side

When I rotated the tires seven months ago they were fine. The car and tires have less than 18000 miles on them in that I do most of my driving in town. I don't use the car during the summer months.

I know that an alignment problem could cause uneven tire ware but this seems much more serious than that.

snipped-for-privacy@ilstu.edu

Reply to
rcyoungs

That's a classic symptom of overinflation.

- Rich

-- Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

Reply to
user

I would clarify that as saying it was a classic symptom of overinflation with old, bias tires. It is not so clear with modern radials. Many Prius owners are purposefully running 4 to 7 psi above door-jam-sticker settings in an effort to get the best mpg and they are NOT experiencing center of tread wear.

Whenever there is uneven wear, pressures should be checked but front AND rear alignment should be checked as well. Even on cars where the rear does not have adjustable alignment; something could be worn or bent. Tires normally do not wear the same on the front and the rear and this is one of reasons for rotating tires, as often as every 5k miles.

Ed P '96 Outback with 107k miles '04 Prius with 58k miles

Reply to
Ed P

Excess inside tread wear is a classic symptom of overinflation?

What is excess *center* tread wear a symptom of, then?

Reply to
CompUser

Reply to
Edward Hayes

I see that I was somewhat unclear in my first post. When I used the phrase "inside tread of each of the rear tires"I was referring to the tread on the tire which is nearest the center of the car not the center of the tire.

The part that shows unusual wear is the section of the tire toward the center of the car not the side of the tire with the air stem on it.

Reply to
rcyoungs

Unless the car is frequently VERY heavily loaded - you may have a camber or more likely 'toe' adjustment out of spec. If the car IS frequently very heaviliy loaded - speak to your suspension guru about adjustments to limit the problem.

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

That's definitely an alignment problem.

Reply to
nobody >

Flame mode on. That's not an alignment problem. That's an alignment feature. Align the rear to increase the camber and the roadholding would probably suck. How good are the tires people put on foresters anyway? Flame mode off.

To the OP: enjoy your lotus on stilts ;-)

Reply to
Body Roll

BMW SUVs use that "alignment feature" to compensate for a roll over tendency.

They must be the originals at such low mileage.

Reply to
who