Rebuilt Outback 2004

buying a damaged car that's been rebuilt

hello all,

i'm looking into 2004 Outback that's been in an accident.I'm not sure if it the title shows salvage. Anyway, my question is what should i look out for? What are some inherient problems with a car that's had the frame straightened and furthermore what kind of issues can a car like this have later on in it's life? Basically, i will look to see if the car drives "straight" ie both the front and rear axles are alighned properly and that it doesn't drive down the road sideways...but what are some other test that you would suggest. Thanks again for the advice.

best, paul.

Reply to
gilach

I've had two encounters with SUVs in my '95 Outback, and it seems to run and drive just fine. I'd be more concerned about the place that fixed it than the actual status of the wreck. Although my Outback is still a great vehicle, the first body shop kept messing things up, forcing me to return, and the second body shop did an awful job of matching the paint. (I realize that paint matching on a 10 year old car is difficult, but it's as if they didn't even try.) Anyway, the first accident impaled my car on a 2 foot long trailer hitch, which tweaked the frame a bit, and the second accident was cosmetic body panel damage all along the driver's side.

-Matt

Reply to
Hallraker

Run it through the strongest carwash you can find and see if any water comes in. I bought a Taurus that had been in an accident and the passenger side leaked like being a downpour.

*I* didn't discover it until it was too late.

Check that while driving straight under heavy acceleration, it doesn't pull to one side or the other.

Have a mechanic put it on a lift and check for dented brake lines, exhaust pipes, etc. Get his opinion on the car's condition and what might have happened to it.

You might also want to take a tape measure and check that it's at the same height on each side, front and back.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

ALl of the previous, plus do a quick visual inside and out. All door shutlines should be the same. Dash should be same distance from each side of the car. Everything should open and shut properly without binding. No strange colours inside bumpers/fenders/engine bay or anywhere else not normally seen but still visible. If you're serious, check there'll be no future impact on your insurance, get a shop you trust to check it over (mech and panel) and pay the money for a 4wheel align with a printed before and after report. My 91 wagon was a serious rebuild. Ran great for

320,000Km. Cheers
Reply to
hippo

As mentioned by the others with the checks and definitely take it to a high-pressure wash and hit every spot of the car you can for a while. $4-5 in the car wash could save you a ton down the road. Also, if it's a Salvage or branded title don't even think about paying more than

1/3rd the average retail value of the car. Maybe even less. Lastly, check with your insurance company before you buy it. Many of them will not cover branded titles and some will only cover them for Liability (they won't pay twice on the same totaled car). Also, if you plan to finance it, most banks won't touch a branded title.
Reply to
DragonRider

And do what we do, all the time...have a buddy tail you down a straight road, and check if the vehicle is "going sideways" while straight.

Reply to
CompUser