Removing decals

I'm prepping my '96 outback for a new paint job and want to get rid of the chipped decal they use on the lower 'cladded' third of the car. So far I'm using a window paint scraper with a razor blade, and it works, but boy is it slow-going. I'm open to suggestions. I'm not planning on new decal, just pure paint.

thanks, mates

Reply to
celdt celdt

You might try using an electric heat gun. I've used them on after market decals with good results.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

A heat gun. Sounds promising. I take it they are more powerful than hair blowers. I can probably rent from from a local h/w store.

Reply to
celdt celdt

A low-end heat gun can be had for < $20 so renting one might be self-defeating. A heat gun is insanely useful around the house for things like removing paint and thawing frozen pipes (assuming the climate in your location does that). Top quality guns are up around $150 but for your home-type uses one of these would be downright silly.

Try Googling for "Heat Gun" and you'll get an idea what is available.

Reply to
John McGaw

Home Depot or Lowe's or any automotive parts store should be able to supply you with a good heat gun

Reply to
GlennK

Seems like the consensus is, use heat gun. Thank all you gents very much. I assume the heat gun in addition to using my razor blade scraper is what I need to do and I'll give it a go asap. Naturally I'll try to get away with my wife's hair dryer, tho I know you all are thinking "that wimpy thing ain't gonna get it done". Thanks for the tip.

Reply to
celdt celdt

There's a trick to getting more heat out of a hair dryer...

Duct-tape shut about 1/3-1/2 of the intake vents.

Big-ass heatguns have a rotating shutter to do just that.

But--- you might end up with a puddle of plastic, so be prepared to stop and rip the duct-tape off.

Reply to
nobody >

oven cleaner!

__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 4691 (20091215) __________

Zeke

thanks Zeke. Exactly what steps I should follow should I decide to use this oven cleaner?

Reply to
celdt celdt

Wear rubber gloves and eye protection.

Reply to
John Varela

That ought to tell you what it will do for the paint!

Oh, wait...you're repainting this car....

Reply to
Hachiroku