Replacing HID Xenon light bulbs?

One of the HID headlights on my Subaru Tribeca is going noticeably low. Both of the sides still come on, but one side is starting to look noticeably purplish compared to the other side. I don't know if I should bother replacing with dealer parts, or just go with aftermarket. Should they be replaced in pairs, even if the other side isn't bad? The original bulbs were HID in this car, so this is not an HID retrofit, just a simple replacement. According to the chart the Tribeca uses D1S HID bulbs.

Any preferences for example, OSRAM, Philips, Sylvania, etc.? What about upgrading from 6000K to 8000K or 10000K bulbs? The 8000K & 10000K bulbs would be a lot hotter (and bluer) than the 6000K, which might affect their longevity, but would they also be brighter? Would I need new ballasts for the hotter bulbs or do the existing ones work regardless of HID bulb color?

Here's some examples:

Pack of 2 Xenon D1S (D1R, D1C) HID Bulbs AC 35W Factory HID Headlight Replacement Bulb 6000K Crystal White: Amazon.ca: Automotive

RCP - D1S6CA - D1S 6000K Xenon HID Repcement Bulb Diamond White Metal Stents Base 12V Car Headlight Lamps Head Lights 35W: Amazon.ca: Automotive
Car Rover 35W HID Xenon Headlight Replacement Lamp - All Bulb Sizes - All Colors - D1S D1C - Real 5000K White Color, Accessory Lighting & Kits

- Amazon Canada

OSRAM XENARC D1S HID/XENON Headlight bulb (66144) - Pack of 2 ..., Bulbs

- Amazon Canada

The last one, above, is the most expensive one, but also the lowest temperature ones at 4300K.

Yousuf Khan

Reply to
Yousuf Khan

Personally I'd replace both since if one is failing (assuming the perceived failure isn't bad wiring or a corroded connection) then the other will probably follow. And, as for color I'd try to find out what the existing lamps are and, if I liked them I'd go for the same or if I didn't I'd go warmer or cooler to get where I like. Personally I really dislike the violet-blue that some high-intensity lights put out. The LED lights on my new one are probably between 6k and 8k and are really noticeably blue compared to the 2008's halogens.

Reply to
John McGaw