Xenon (HID) Headlight problem

Hi

I have a 2003 Seat Ibiza TDI Sport, with Xenon (aka HID, Gas Discharge) headlamps fitted. As most of the of the car is built from VW bits I guess the basic headlamp internals are too, in which case they'll be similar to those used on Golfs, A3s, etc etc

Recently I've noticed the o/s lamp flickers very slightly from time to time. This morning it actually went out for a split second.

Any ideas what might be causing this, a dodgy HID bulb or maybe something to do with the associated electronics ?

I'm not too well up on how they work...

Many thanks !

Reply to
Beezer

If it's a 2003 car the obvious thing to do is take it to the dealer and say "Warranty job".

The lights should not flicker! It sounds like you may have a dodgy connection somewhere. HID lamps are basically like a fluorescent tube - they use an 'inverter' circuit to step the battery 12 volts up to a much higher voltage which then discharges through a gas-filled tube to generate light. There is no coiled wire filament like in an old-fashioned lightbulb.

Reply to
PJML

Definately warranty. Those HID bulbs cost about £100 Dave

Reply to
Dave Spam