RPM's for Subaru Loyale

Recently purchased a 1991 Loyale 5 spd, on-demand 4WD and at 3000 rpm's (not in 4wd mode) I'm only running about 67 mph, is this normal? Thanks, Vabass

Reply to
vabass

Hi,

Sounds about right depending on your tires...

A spreadsheet I put together some years ago gave me 3050 to 3090 rpms at

65 mph, 3290 to 3328 rpms at 70 mph, based on a couple of tires I've used (lower number was for 165R-13, higher was for 185/70R-13 of a different brand.)

HTH,

Rick

Reply to
Rick Courtright

Rick, I checked my RPM's again today and your numbers are almost exactly what I'm experiencing. I stated earlier that I was running about 67 mph at

3k rpms well it was more like 65 mph at around 3050 rpms like you said. The tires on the vehicle now are 185/70R-13. I'm used to having a vehicle run below 3k rpm's, will this engine hold up well under those rpm's.

Thanks, Gilbert

Rick Courtright wrote:

Reply to
vabass

Well... mine has 356,000+ miles, if that means anything! These engines do quite well at that kind of rpm--IIRC, they're rather oversquare (bore bigger than stroke) which allows them to take higher rpm's just fine. In fact, you'll hurt one less by running it fast than running it slow and lugging it. I use 3000 as a downshift point. My upshift point for normal driving is 4000, freeway merging between 4500 and 5000. I don't take mine out to redline too often, but when I do, there's usually a goodly cloud of black crud for a few seconds as it blows the spiders out of the exhaust, then it settles down and really hums. A lot of the guys here are more spirited drivers than I am these days, and they see redline several times a week, with no apparent ill effects.

Good luck with yours!

Rick

Reply to
Rick Courtright