Subaru Loyale 4x4

My 1994 Subaru Loyale will no longer engage into 4x4 mode , depressing the button on the stick fails to elicit any response( the display on the dash will not light up) this occurred quite recently and I have never had any problems prior .Could this be a simple electrical problem?

Reply to
simian

Any chance someone installed the FWD fuse under the hood? Don't know how the 4wd is activated but it has to be either vacuum or a solenoid. Probably need to get under the car and start checking for voltage if it's a solenoid activated or a leaking vacuum hose if the other way.

Reply to
johninKY

Just another thought. Check all your fuses. This circuit must have one. Also use a multimeter to check for voltage at the button. Problem could be as simple as a bad switch.

Reply to
johninKY

button on the stick fails to elicit any response( the display on > the dash will not light up) this occurred quite recently and I have > never had any problems prior .Could this be a simple electrical

Hi,

The light on my Loyale has a mind of its own. It will work for a while, then go on "hiatus" for months before it decides it's going to work again. I don't remember how I discovered this, but a shot of contact cleaner into the gap around the switch in the top of the shift lever sometimes revives things.

But, even when the light's on vacation, if I turn off "noisy" things like the radio and heater fan, I can hear a faint "click" from under the car as the 4wd engages. Can you hear anything?

My system (it's a '90) is vacuum operated, and there's a small vacuum line that operates everything from a dashpot near the front of the gearbox. It's hard to see (gotta crawl under there and look carefully w/ a good light) but it's a place to start looking if you DON'T even get a "click."

Good luck!

Rick

Reply to
Rick Courtright

In addition to what others have said on this, the 4WD cars (as opposed to the AWD flavor) lack a center differential/clutch pack/whatever. This is at least true on the mid-late '80s cars I've owned and worked on.

In any event, you can always tell if the rear is engaged by making a series of sharp turns on pavement. When in 4WD, you will feel the drive train bind a bit as you execute the turn. You might give this a shot before you start digging into the vacuum operated linkages and such.

ByeBye! S. Steve Jernigan KG0MB Laboratory Manager Microelectronics Research University of Colorado (719) 262-3101