91 Loyale SW - 4WD problem

I recently purchased a 1991 Subaru Loyale Manual Stationwagon. At the time of purchase, pressing the 4WD button on the stick turned on the 4WD. When I tried to turn on the four wheel drive again, after driving it back to my house about an hour and a half away, it did not work. I've tried it repeatedly but it will not work. Does anyone have any idea what the problem may be? Thank you.

Reply to
Subi

Hi,

Any chance you were looking under the hood and bumped anything? The 4wd unit is activated by a vacuum hose, located on the right (passenger) side of the engine compartment. It goes toward some kind of vacuum accumulator up close to the firewall. If it gets knocked off (not that hard to do--don't ask how I know!), the 4wd won't engage. If that's not it, check all the electrical connections in the area of the gearbox--take out the spare tire and there are a couple easily visible--to make sure they're clean and tight. And, of course, check the fuse box for loose, missing or burnt fuses. Hopefully you won't have to dig any deeper.

HTH,

Rick

Reply to
Rick Courtright