RPM's

Hello!!

I have owned my 1970 Panel Bus for 6 years and finally just recently installed a Porsche 912 Tachometer. I was amazed at the RPM I had been driving my Bus at. My speedometer doesnt work right and I haven't changed the cable, but it would be off anyways I figure because my bus is wearing some big boots. Anyways I have a stock 1600 single port engine with a slightly bigger cam. The RPM's I have run before installing the Tach were ~3600 RPM's at top cruising speed! Now I've slowed down to between 3000 and 3200 RPM's. I don't know if the previous RPM's were too high, but it seems like my gas-mileage has improved a bit. So I would like to know if the RPM's I'm running now are safe for a longer lasting engine, as well as if my previous RPM's were way too high.

Thanks for your insight, I've enjoyed reading posts here for several weeks and finally created an account. Happy Trails to you all! (:#

Reply to
Busdriver

I worried a little about rpm's in my bus also (68 with 1600 dual carbs) but was assured that lower gearing is the reason it runs about 1000 rpm's higher than the bug at the same speed. Just keep an eye on the temp and remember that they figure less total miliage before an overhaul for that reason. I run mine about 3800 rpm on the road which is between

55 and 60. The temp is right on the money and the oil pressure is great. Don't worry. Dennis

href="

">Den's1977 Puma

Reply to
Dennis Wik