Rubber band change question

Hi All,

2006 Forrester 4 cyl, 087407 miles

My maintenance manual says to change my rubber band (timing belt) every:

105 months (9 years), or 105,000 miles

Whatever comes first.

My dealer, which you have to take what they say with a grain of salt (no my back brakes at 90% remaining don't need changing), said

7 years, or 105,000 miles

Whatever comes first.

Which one of these guys is right?

Where did I get the idea, the rubber band was to be changed every 92,000 miles?

Many thanks,

-T

Reply to
Todd

9 years might be pushing it a bit, Tires are supposed to be replaced every 5 years, regardless of wear, due to hardening of the rubber. The rubber on the belt doesn't see sun or ultraviolet, but does see hydrocarbon vapours, heat and ozone.

Some cars want the belt changed every 100,000km (62,000 miles), and on the Chevy Aveo the original belts were failing at under 90,000 km - Gates replacements going well over 100,000km. On the old Toyota "A" series engines (tervel and corolla in the '80s) I NEVER saw a belt fail at under 200,000km and only ever saw one fail

- due to the pulley/sprocket being packed with ice on a courier vehicle with almost 300,00km on it. I did see quite a few that I felt were getting well past replacement time by the time they were replaced - but none that had actually failed (we recommended replacement at 100,000km - and it was, at best, an hour's job. Ef everything went well it could be done in 40 minutes or less. On my 1980 Tercel I changed the timing belt and clutch in under 2 hours at 300,000km because I was setting off on a trip from Waterloo Ontario to the Washington DC area (actually to Princeton University first, then on to DC) and I didn't want to take a chance on breaking down. Clutch still had over half thickness left, and the belt only had a few fineline cracks, but when it was apart, the old parts were NOT going back in. That was in about 1985.

Reply to
clare

Hi Clare,

I just made the appointment. Thank you.

-T

Reply to
Todd

Hi Clare,

I really don't appreciate the design, but if that is the only thing, after a Pontiac, I will take 10 rubber bands a year! (Okay, maybe only one a year.) Everything went wrong with that monstrosity ('81 Pontiac LeMans).

Rubber timing belts remind me of when Maytag (washing machines from hell) switched from metal transmission gears to plastic gears. They were quieter too (wink, wink, and cheaper). Never own a Maytag again (if you need a new washing machine, my wife LOVES her Speed Queen).

Thank you for all your help.

-T

Reply to
Todd

I had ONE pontiac in my life - a 1995 TransSport with a 3.8. It was one of the biggest money-sieves I've ever known. Never a lot of money at a time, but the money just kept draining away little by little. That darn thing drove me crazy. At least when it decided to die it went out in style!!!!!

Reply to
clare

Hi Clare,

All those years I kept it running. 1+ on the sieve! When I got my Forrester, I was shocked. I actually and suddenly started to enjoy driving! And it has only been in the shop for non scheduled maintenance once. (I drove over a huge pot hole and the plastic under shield got trashed. Was really dumb on my part.)

-T

Reply to
Todd

Following thread, thought I'd comment that I had the belt changed in my '03 Forester at 40,000 miles a couple of years ago when I needed a new water pump. Dealer said that since it was apart only charge was for the belt itself which I seem to recall was $100.

Reply to
Frank

It's also common practice that the water pump be changed when a timing belt service is performed.

Reply to
PAS

I make it a practice to follow the manufacturer's recommendations in the manual and ignore whatever unnneeded thing the dealer is trying to sell me. We changed the timing belt on my wife's 1999 Forester after 105 months, as recommended in the owner's manual. Last summer we bought a 2014 Forester and passed the 1999 car -- with only 70,000 miles on it -- on to one of our kids and he's running it in far upstate New York, still on that second timing belt.

Reply to
John Varela

The dealer told me my engine was one of the ones that would be harmed by a broken rubber band. I am not sure what to believe.

Anyway, I have an appointment with an auto service I trust on Tuesday to change the little bugger.

Not happy about the expense, but A LOT cheaper than the dealer. And, I could have my old Pontiac. (Of interest, the "dealer" sends their goof ups to this shop to bail them out, so I am in good hands.)

Reply to
Todd

You pay for what you get, but not at the dealership

Reply to
Todd

Hi Clare,

Got it changed. Cost me 681.00 U$D plus 101.00 U$D for the rental car. A no smoking shop too. Car smells normal when I got it back. Mechanic said the rubber band showed a little wear, but wasn't too bad.

Weird, it seems to run better. Makes no sense. Maybe I am just glad not to be driving that "awkward" Nissan Maxima anymore. What a culture shock over a Subi. A compass on the read view mirror! What a useless distraction. When was the last time anyone drove cross country. You have to drive on the roads. Even dirt roads you have to drive on the road. Hard to get in and out of too. Seat controls require the door to be open to operate. Lots of useless junk. I much prefer Subi's practical approach.

-T

Reply to
Todd