A Question

O.K. I am a college student but my job is really far away currently I am driving a 2002 jetta but between work and school the miles are gonna kill it before long at this rate anyway. So I am thinking about getting a second car to just use for school and running around town. I am need something that is pretty reliable and low maintance (since i dont have much money to spare) . I was wondering if a old bug would be good for me. There is one for sale in town and it has sparked my attention. It seems to be in good shape. I guess I am just wondering if they are pretty durable, and is it more expensive to get them worked on then newer cars. thanks for helping a newb to bugs out! yours, al

Reply to
mystical_mullet_hunter

Unless you are ready and willing to do most work yourself... fuhget it.

That's not meant to sound rude. But in most parts of the US, you won't find *anyone* who knows anything about them and when they do are able to charge bigga bucks.

--

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

I wouldn't say bugs are low maintenance, it more that the people who own them know how to do basic maintenance themselves so they aren't paying someone else to do it every few months. If maintained, they are super reliable. My bug is past 300K miles and only once in the last 23 years have I been stranded (because I screwed up the engine too, not a reliability problem really.)

Get yourself the Muir manual (not technically accurate but a good source of inspiration) and the Bentley manual first and see if doing stuff like changing the oil every 3000 miles and doing a valve job is within your abilities, then go find a well-maintained bug to buy.

Reply to
Michael Cecil

Hey Al

I'd hate to steer you away from bugs but I'd hate for you to make a wrong choice more, curse us out and hate bugs for the rest of your life:

Bugs will require a fair amount of maintenance. Unless you already know how to work on bugs, you don't want to learn by working on one you rely on to get to from A to B (that's when you'll start cursing us out if we told you to get a bug).

If you want a reliable car, fairly low maintenance that will most likely get you decent mileage and will last for a while, I'd get a Subaru. I've had several and they are very good basic transportation, not hard to maintain and fairly easily worked on. I got my daughter an older Impreza at during the first year of college and she's now going for her masters' (so it has lasted a bit). If you live in an area where you might get a decent amount of snow, the four wheel drive aspect is your friend.

Join the dark side, get a third car and let that be a bug :) Remco

Reply to
remco

Or get an 80's Mercedes, very reliable if you find one from a good home which has not been eaten by the steel worms..

J.

Reply to
P.J. Berg

Yeah, that works too.. While were dreaming, why not a nice gull wing? :)

Reply to
remco

Mmm, my regular car is a -82 W123 230E... The last of the good ones..

J.

Reply to
P.J. Berg

Nice wheels! Agreed on the newer body styles - they all look like German Hondas now..

Reply to
Remco

Hey Al, Welcome to the wonderful world of Air Cooled VWs. John Henry has some MUST reading that you should check out prior to making a decision about VWs.

Keep the group posted on your decision and if you need any help.

Be Cool.....AIRCOOLED !!

"Wild" Bill Tucker

President Rare Air VW Club Pensacola, Florida

'78 VW Bus ( "Old Rusty" )

'76 Bug "The Grape"

'69 Squareback , Arizona car, Automatic

Rare Air VW Club Website:

or

Wild Bill Tucker

The west coast still has a lot of acvw-only shops, and the handful I've personally used were resonable with pricing. On an annual basis, cost a hell of a lot less to pay them to maintain my bug than I'm paying now for my girlfriend's 97 cavalier.

South San Francisco bay and Portland, OR were both great places to own one. Almost too good because I didn't take the time to learn nearly as much as I should have when I had ready access to hands-on help.

Reply to
Seth Graham

So...

Where would you guys like me to move and open an AC only VW shop?

:D

Jan

Seth Graham wrote:

Reply to
Jan Andersson

2049 Golf View Ct. Apt 1B, Wheaton, IL sounds good.

I live in 1A.

Reply to
Seth Graham

Raleigh, NC. I have a rail that needs some professional help. (Not "less-than-professional," but "professional.") You move here and open up an AC VW shop and I'd proudly be your first customer. :-)

Reply to
Shag

I dont have a problem with the latter body styles so much (2000 something).Just the quality, unless we are looking at 500 - 600 series, which are waaaaay out of my league :o)

J.

Reply to
P.J. Berg

When it comes to Mercedes, I just know what body style I like. A friend of mine had an older 450, which is just a beautiful car - bad in snow or rain, but beautiful. Always have been partial to Gull Wings since I saw one when I was a kid. Never owned one (am partial to Saabs myself) but do remember wondering what the heck happened to their style - or lack of - around later 80s; they all just started to look alike. Mercedes had such a nice difinitive style in the day. (Hate the looks of the new saabs too, though, so it is probably just me. :)

Reply to
remco

Anywhere in Fairfield county, Connecticut.

Reply to
remco

LOL

I'll get right on it :D

Jan

Reply to
Jan

Hmm... climate-wise it sounds better than IL. Hmm.

jan

Reply to
Jan

Unless you like your climate in Finland, forget what I mentioned about opening a shop up in CT (it is way not as nice weather as where Shag lives)

Reply to
remco

...............I suspect that Jan is yearning for a warm & dry climate and a lot of ACVWs to play with. Arizona/Southern California would satisfy his needs and then we would all have a place to stay while on winter vacation.

Reply to
Tim Rogers