90k mile Ranger with only oil change for service...

Looking to buy a used Ranger for my son. Already had 3 taken in for used car inspections and all had misc problems. I found one today that is a 2002 v6 auto with 90k miles, almost all highway commute miles. Original owner. When I asked if he has done all the factory recommended services, he said no, just an oil change every 3k miles. Said he recently changed the differential fluid. Truck is clean and drives very well. The regular oil change is good, but is the other lack of service a major issue if the truck is running good? I will have this checked by my wrench also, but thought I would ask this group first.

Reply to
dc.nc

DC, drop that thing like a hot potato and walk away.. After 90,000 on my truck. I have changed the tranny fluid once, the differential fluid once, the fuel filter 6 times, and put a bottle of Chevron Fuel System Cleaner in about every 6,000 mi. You can never do too much maintenance on a truck, especially an 02 with 90,000 on it. He should have already changed that auto fluid about 30,000 ago. Also, an alignment every couple of years also isnt a bad thing. Most tire companies recommend every 12months, but I do mine every

2yrs, or when it starts to pull. The other thing is, have them lower ball joints checked out specifically. I have already had to replace one, and gettin ready to do the other one when it warms up. Also, look real good for leaks under the hood and around the oil pan. I have 90k on my truck and it already leaks there. Plus, that air filter has probably starved the engine of air a time or two.. Its your choice, but I wouldnt..
Reply to
pkurtz2

It depends on the overall condition of the truck otherwise. For example, if he didn't change the air filter or fuel filter, I don't think it would do any harm, and changing them should restore full performance. The transmission is probably not an issue either. I'm a firm believer in regular trans maintenance, but part of the equation is what kind of usage the truck has received. Pull the dipstick, and check the transmission fluid. If it's still pink and doesn't smell burned, then there's most likely no harm done. If he's been hard on the tranny, i.e. he's towed with it or otherwise driven it hard, you should be able to tell by the condition of the fluid.

In some ways, I'd almost prefer unchanged tranny fluid at 90k. Think of it this way, if he had dogged the truck, and just last week changed the fluid, you wouldn't be able to tell because the fluid would look perfect. As it is, you should be able to judge the overall condition of the transmission by the condition of the fluid.

Of course, if you buy the truck, drop the pan and change the filter and fluid as soon as you buy it. You might even be able to negotiate the price down since you're going to have to replace fluids and filters right away.

CJB

Reply to
CJB

Your first question should be, which services have been missed by 90,000 miles. I don't think you will find "the other lack of service" actually amounts to much. The most critical issue, the oil has been taken care of. Not changing air and fuel filters (unless they have had a structural failure) does no damage per se, other than possibly temporarily effecting performance. Since I only drive manual transmissions, I can speak to the automatic transmission maintenance issues.

My wife drives a '99 V-6 5-speed manual Camry, (Thank you, Ford for pissing me off, or I never would have bought it) with over 120,000 miles. This car has only had oil and filters changed since new (I bought it new with 7 miles on it). At 105,000 I changed the timing belt (recommended at 60,000-90,000) it was in great shape when I took it out of service. It is on it's second set of tires, the first some horrible factory supplied Dunlop's, the second Goodyear aqua treads (drove like a new car with better tires). The brakes are still original and not in need of service yet (I check them every 3000 miles while changing the oil and rotating the tires). Needless to say, this car is NOT driven hard. Other than the usual squeaks and noises, this car runs drives handles and stops exceptionally well, and is in perfect working order. If I were shopping used trucks, I would much rather the truck be unmolested than worked on by incompetents.

Good Luck

Reply to
351CJ