Squeaky AT Shifter

I have a 2006 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Base Auto Trans.

I've been experiencing squeaking noises from the shifter trim. This occurs when shifting from Park to Reverse and also when driving in rough roads or hitting a bump. It gets to be annoying.

So far the dealer has replaced the shifter trim first and the bezel second. For each repair I had to make 2 trips, once to identify problem and order parts, another to make the repair. Both repairs have not helped the squeaking noises much at all.

Is this an issue that the dealer can actually fix, or an annoyance that Subaru owners just learn to live with? Please advise.

Thanks!

Reply to
John C

If they can't find a part or clip or something that is actually 'broken' or out of place - I suspect they will need to locate the general area that's squeaking and either secure/isolate it somehow (double side foam tape or ?) or perhaps use some silicon grease in the area.

I suspect there are standard procedures for dash and trim noises. I dunno.

carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

You're supposing this is a regular problem for Subaru owners. A quick check of this and other groups tells me that no one else has reported such a problem as you've described.

I d>

Reply to
Tony Burns (permanent dismisse

I've heard of using felt stuffed between squeaky dash/trim pieces to suppress squeaks, but I've never actually seen it or done it. Sounds promising, though. I suppose a piece is wrapped over the edge of a putty knife and pushed in?

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

I've had the exact same problem with my '04 OB. It's a case of plastic rubbing against plastic. usually caused by food, dust, sand or other particles entering the shifter housing thru the gaps.

Only way I've found to fix it is to take the whole shifter plasic trim assy apart and scrub clean all the parts in a washtub filled with soapy water and a brush. Dry with towel, leave bake in the sun for 1/2 hour and re-assy and the problem goes away. I have resigned that this problem is an inherent design flaw. Only way around it is to not eat on the car or allow anything to fall into the oh-so-annoying-crooked-grooveway AT shifter. Subaru made the plastic parts in the shifter trim and bezel waaaay to tight with not enuf room for age/play/tolerance/foreign object incursion.

Note also that I've had the EXACT same problem with the Power mirror button and seat heater switches that are mounted in the center console gumming-up form foreign matter incursion. Same problem, a bad location to put switches and cheap switch parts used.

(I guess nobody eats in the car in Japan ?)

Reply to
Mr Hat II

Though, not in cars, I have had good luck using application of simple chapstick on squeaky plastic parts. It stays slippery enough in most temp ranges and is cheap and harmless.

If you are going to take it apart, might as well add some of that. (Your crumbs will stick more, but might soften up to the point they don't make any noise.)

Reply to
Ratatooie

I guess this is not a common problem with Subarus based on the response.

I will go ahead and take the car to the dealer again, and hope they can fix it right this time.

If anyone has any further advice or experiences, please advise. Thanks!

Reply to
John C