Fuel level reading problem, MY02 Impreza

Just lately, the fuel level reading has stopped working accurately in my Impreza. Seems to work fine from full down to about 1/3 level, but then the gauge stops moving. The needle never goes below 1/3.

A check of the service information seems to indicate that this is likely a sticking float, AND that the float is integrated with the fuel pump. Seems likely to be expensive, if I have to replace that unit.

A Subaru pump seems to list for about $400 US. I've seen it as cheap as about $270. Other makes of replacement pumps, which seem to be equivalent, are available for as little as $90.

I have done a google search, but didn't really find anything to answer these questions:

- is there another likely cause that I can check out?

- is it possible to repair the float, unstick it in some fashion?

- do the cheaper aftermarket replacement pumps work okay?

Hoping someone has experience in this area. Thanks for any feedback.

Larry Van Wormer

Reply to
Larry Van Wormer

Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Reply to
Edward Hayes

Agreed. I thought $90 might be okay, though, IF that cheap replacement unit was decently reliable.

(An ongoing nuisance with my internet provider) Carl's response did not appear on my computer. Glad you included it.

Larry Van Wormer

Reply to
Larry Van Wormer

This is actually a pretty easy fix, I have had this happed on several different cars. You will need to remove the fuel pump. You will see the mechanism for the float assembly, there are some brass/copper colored contacts, some times the linkage gets loose and the contacts don't make good contact, sometimes they get dirty with a type of varnish on them, this varnish can also make the linkage sticky, you can use brake cleaner to clean it all up really good, work the linkage/float up and down until it moves freely. This should fix it. You can also test it while it is out of the car, leave the fuel lines disconnected, but plug the wiring harness in, turn the key on, but dont turn the engine over, move the lever up and down, and make sure you get full range from the fuel needle, this can take awhile as the computer "averages" the input so that the guage moves very slowely, this is so you don't get fluctuations form the gas sloshing around. Also check for wiring damage near the pump, a variance in resistance (mild short), caused by damage to the wiring can also cause this type of problem.

Hope that helps Jerry

Reply to
jerryeveretts

That does help, thanks! I think I will try to simply fix the unit, rather than buy a cheap one.

Larry Van Wormer

Reply to
Larry Van Wormer

I just bought a 97 legacy outback. I've filled the tank a couple of times;

10 gallons each time.

The manual says the tank is 15 gallons, but the guage was at 7/8 when I put 10 gallons into it. Am I supposed to feel comfortable driving another

50+ miles with the needle all the way at the bottom? It would be nice to think I only have to fill once per week. but I ain't carrying a gallon in the back seat for when the tank runs dry.

Nils

Reply to
synthius2002

Reply to
Edward Hayes

My 97's gauge performance has deteriorated over time. When it gets to E it usually has about 5 gallons left. Have only seen the warning light twice in 9 1/2 years. i assume it works.

Once it dropped well below E on a 90 mile trip, then later rose to a little above E Wierd. I was all on level ground. Sounds like your problem is at the opposite end of the meter.

Reply to
Jim