2006 Legacy 2.5i Limited...Info?

Greetings all,
Doing some research on a 2006 Legacy 2.5i Limited. Has anyone purchase one and what do you think? I have a 1995 Legacy LSI and it seems that this
2006 is a perfect fit to replace the 1995. Wife's Car, but its gotta be as trouble free as possible. AND the 1995 sure was...
Any insight to problems or maybe some experiences with the 2005's...
Thanks, Bill
Bill,
I can't give you much from the perspective of an experienced owner; we just picked ours up Wednesday. FWIW.....ours is a 2.5i Ltd. OUTBACK. Otherwise, similar scenario to yours: wife's car, replacing 1996 Legacy L wagon which, BTW, performed admirably for 120K miles. If you've driven one, you know that there is a huge difference compared to your '95. These are way more sophisticated and well engineered vehicles. OTOH, there is more fancy stuff to fail. Only time will tell. For now we both LOVE this car.
Wayne in AK
Bill Pelka wrote:

Bill Pelka wrote:

I have an 05 Outback bought in June 04. Not one single problem. Potenza tires are s**t though. The 05+ is a very sophisticated automobile (Legacy or Outback)which would make your 1995 feel like agricultural machinery.
Ron
--
And it really doesn't matter if
I'm wrong I'm right

Bill,
On Nov. 12 we traded my wife's '01 Volvo S60 2.4T for an '06 Legacy 2.5i Limited Wagon. My wife was very reluctant to let go of her beloved Volvo, the most luxurious car she'd ever had. I have to admit that when it was working right, it was a very comfortable long-haul cruuiser. But it was just too expensive to maintain--you couldn't just go for an oil/filter change without parting with another $600 or $800 or $1,000 dollars for something else you wouldn't anticipate going wrong on any other brand of car, much less actually have to fix (e.g., why should a radiator go out at only 67K miles and not quite 5 years?).
Long story short, my wife LOVES her new Legacy. It has every amenity the Volvo had except memory driver seat and outside mirror. The thing corners like it's on rails. Power, coming from the Volvo with a turbo (197 HP), seems very adequate. Best of all, it gets a couple of MPG better and on regular (not premium) gas.
This is our second Subaru. We felt confident in this purchase because my '04 Forester 2.5 XT is at about 33,500 and 27 months, and NOTHING whatever has gone wrong. I love the car. And nice as my wife's Legacy is, I wouldn't trade her. I love the XT's power, despite the 17 MPG around town, and on premium gas. Fortunately I have a short commute to work, and only need to fill it about once a week (half a tank or so).
Bottom line, I think you'll love a new Legacy. I can't for the life of me understand why this 2.5i (NOT the turbo GT) doesn't get more positive press and comparison with the 4 cyl. Camry and Accord. It's a wonderfully engineered, high-quality car. I suspect Fuji Heavy Industries just doesn't pay off the car magazines as much as the larger companies do.
HW

I suspect it is because it takes a long time to build a reputation in the automotive world (at least at the consumer level.) Honda and Toyota got no respect in the '70s when they really hit the scene, even though they made good cars even then. "Honda? They make motorcycles." Subaru was making the 360, a 2-stroke wonder. In the final analysis, the automotive press world is probably as fickle and cliquish as the Hollywood press world anyway.
Mike
We just purchased a 2006 2.5 Outback Limited about three weeks ago and love it. The only complaint is that with the factory alarm the locks do not automatically lock when the car starts (personal preference from previous cars) for security reasons for my wife. I would advise you to use the Subaru web site , build the car as you want it, then request a quote. we saved over $4K off MSRP from a local dealer without ever having to negotiate or deal with the usual B.S. or add ons. Good build quality, VERY quiet ride and great dash layout/lighting. Too cold to enjoy the HUGE sunroof yet here in Oregon, but looking forward to it.
Gary

Greetings all,
Yesterday I went to the dealer to look at a 2006 Outback 2.5i Limited SEDAN. We had thought the Legacy would work, but the ground clearance was about 3/4" less than our 1995 Legacy LSI Sedan. So we went with the greater ground clearance of the Outback. Got a Silver with Black Leather. Took it for a short ride and it is Great! It had a spoiler on the rear deck and with a very short wife, the combination was a very poor rear view. She could not see thru or around it. So we had to find a way around that. Looked at all dealers in WA, ID, OR, and MT. There were none. BUT there was a LL Bean 3.0 SEDAN with a "bare" rear deck. So, now we have no spoiler and some silver LL Bean will have one. (Subaru, why not send a few bare rear decks to a central point in each sales district, and then just swap them out. Like the salesman said, "They bolt them on at the factory, so can we...". I got a good deal and the $1000 rebate helped.
I too was interested in the auto lock when the vehicle is put in gear. I will have to see if there is a connector or a way to modify the computer system to do this. It seems that, in a wreck, a locked door would be a good thing and keep the door closed. It might make it harder to get out, but so will any body damage, sometimes very minor.
MSRP is $28,020. Invoice is $25,862. Delivery fee of $625 is included. After rebate my price was $24,950 delivered. Pick it up Tuesday.
Wife gets this one and I get the 1995 Legacy sedan LSI with the 2.2. She gets 175 horses and I get 112k miles...

this
as
Bill Pelka wrote:

Had this feature on a 90 GT wagon I had (all doors would lock with a bloody great THUNK when you got to about 15k per hour) but does not appear to be available/activated on my 02 GT wagon.
Would be interested in hearing if you find that this is a feature which can be activated.
Bugalugs wrote:

I hate this feature. I have it on my 2001 Pontiac GP. Bloody annoying if you're just going out to reposition your car in the parking lot for a few seconds. and the car locks you in just for moving. Much better the way they do it in my 2000 OBW, you manually hit the powerlock to lock it, only when you want it locked.
But perhaps having a button on the inside to choose an autolock mode is a good idea.
    Yousuf Khan
--
There is no failure, only delayed success

Yousuf Khan wrote:

I've always felt there should be a 'feature/option' to have the car UN-lock at highway speeds and re-lock at surface road speeds. You're not gonna get jacked on the highway - more likely in stop-n-go traffic or at a signal,etc. Plus, a highway wreck could damage a car such that locked doors would delay emergency extraction of injured occupants and be more likely to require 'jaws-of-life use.
I dunno
Carl
--
to reply, change ( .not) to ( .net)

That's my way of thinking. I don't care whether it locks or not around town, but on the open road I don't want the doors locked for exactly the reason you cite. Yes, the doors may jam closed anyway but no sense in making it certain.
Mike
Carl 1 Lucky Texan wrote:

Then the other end of the view is, the last thing you want is for the doors to be unlocked at highway speeds, if you got rugrats who're likely to play with the door locks while they're trying to be annoying.
Yousuf Khan
YKhan wrote:

I suppose there would still be the child 'lockouts' preventing unlocking from the inside. Plus, if your child is seatbelted in place it is less of a risk.
Carl
--
to reply, change ( .not) to ( .net)

Even if the child doesn't go flying out the open door, there's usually plenty of other things in the back seats that can go flying out the door.
Yousuf Khan
"" wrote: > Greetings all, > > Doing some research on a 2006 Legacy 2.5i Limited. Has > anyone purchase > one and what do you think? I have a 1995 Legacy LSI and it > seems that this > 2006 is a perfect fit to replace the 1995. Wife's Car, but its > gotta be as > trouble free as possible. AND the 1995 sure was... > > Any insight to problems or maybe some experiences with the > 2005's... > > Thanks, > Bill
I purchased one of the last 05 Legacy Ltds in August, (it had been built in July o4, seems no one wanted it). It replaced a 95 Impreza L. It was like going from a WWII jeep to a 1960 Cadilac. What a Car!.
The only "problem" I have had is learning to shift using the timed deceleration built into the throttle. (standard shift, you wont have that in an 06)
It has sufficient power, I drove from Harrisburg, Pa, on the Pa. turnpike to New Stanton, the worst mountains on the road, in cruise in 5th gear, never slowed down. And got 28 MPG doing it.
I expect it to last longer than I will.