Best Camry Years?

We may be replacing our '95 sedan, and I want to know which years are the *very best*, from 1998 through, say, 2004. I've heard that the '97-2000 series is all fine, and that the 2001 is problematic. (Please don't tell me you have a 2001 and love it - I realize that not all cars for a given year are bad.)

Reply to
mjc1

Id say 84 and 91.

Reply to
ransley

"mjc13 @verizon.net>"

Reply to
mack

I had a 2001 LE 4cyl auto for about 50k miles and it was OK. No major problems, however at about 20k the power driver seat started to rock at starts and stops, Toyota replaced the seat tracks under warranty. After the warranty the CEL came on and a sensor was bad, and it wasn't cheap to replace - about $300 if I remember correctly. Other than that, not bad, I didn't like the seats, uncomfortable on trips. Good gas MPG, Cheap tires OEM.

Now I drive a 2005 LE 4cyl Auto, 27k, and like it but it has had some issues. 1) The power driver seat rocked at starts and stops, took it in twice and they wouldn't replace it the first time. Second time it was getting really bad and they agreed to replace it. 2) Bad rattle from the chrome trim piece under the shift handle, took it back 3 times to have them fix the shifter bezel and PRNDL lamp after they screwed that up fixing the chrome piece (Dealer issue, they did some free service to even thing up) 3) The speedometer reads 10% high (checked by radar, GPS, and stop watch) and Toyota says that 10% error is acceptable, still fighting that one. 4) The steering started to make a clunking sound when changing turning direction and Toytoa replaced the intermediate steering shaft under a TSB. 5) The power moonroof would not close in the correct position, and the dealer fixed that under warranty.Other than that the windows collect dirt at the seals and sqeak and need to be cleaned often, and some rattles and squeaks in the dash. The tires, as on most LE Camry's are very poor for snow and rain. At

27K the Continentals are pretty much history. I will need to replace them before the next winter.

The good part on the 2005 is that it is comfortable and gets good all around gas mileage (the ODO is accurate) 31mpg mostly highway. Nice MPG for a family sized car with a generous trunk. I liked the 2001, but like the MPG and size and comfort of the 2005. Hopefully the troubles (except for the spedometer) have been resolved and I can enjoy the car for a while.

I don't think they make'em like they used to, but the newer ones do have some nice comfort features.

Reb

"mjc13 @verizon.net>"

Reply to
Roadrunner NG

Reply to
babbler

Reply to
Pszemol

Reply to
mjc1

2002 was the first year of a new generation and it had some issues. Nothing horrible, but a few issues. Those were pretty well-cleared up by the '03 model release.

I think "I heard" about some problems with the '04, best bet would to be look at the TSB's for each year.

Reply to
timbirr

"mjc13 @verizon.net>"

Reply to
jan siepelstad

You make it sound like Toyota is back to making cheap tin cans again. ;)

Reply to
johngdole

I have an '02 LE 4cyl. 105,000K No probs. Had a valve cover gasket done, that's about it. Also a "J" car. Nice thing about the '02 4cyl, timing chain, no belt. Good for 400,000k

"mjc13 @verizon.net>"

Reply to
Murcatroid

Reply to
mjc1

"mjc13 @verizon.net>"

Reply to
Pszemol

Reply to
mjc1

know someone who needed a new engine after like 50k and she had a 2001, but probably didn't take very good care of it. my mom has a 98 and she gave it to me. it's got 252k on it and runs like a gem. slight problem with startup, but i don't think it's anything huge. know someoen else who has a 94 with 150k and hasn't had any major problems.

-c

"mjc13 @verizon.net>"

Reply to
Chris Miller

I'd thought the last year of a generation would most likely be more reliable than the first. However, the last of the gen-4 (2001) subframe had weak weld problems and could disintegrate. So there was a recall.

And then the new 2007 V6 Camry's u-series transmission started skipping gears 2 months out of the factory. No cure for that thing and Toyota only gives you one replacement and won't recognize you after that. So the owners wish for their roulette luck.

The cost cutting never stops.

Reply to
johngdole

Could also check the TSB titles NHTSA site. Details need to pay on AllData, but at least the titles and summaries should give a good idea of what may be wrong.

The thing with old cars is that ALL the rubber parts are at or past their useful life.

Reply to
johngdole

What is the average life of the radiator rubber hoses? Or - high voltage spark plug wires?

I have '95 camry with 240 thousand miles with original hoses & wires...

Reply to
Pszemol

While not specified I personally change the hoses out at 100-120K miles. It's cheap insurance. Tires for instance are recommended in the owner's manual to be replaced after 6 years because of rubber aging. Timing belts 5yr/60K miles or 6yr/90K miles depending on model year. Some people also run original timing belts to well over 200K miles. I just wouldn't do that, but people's mileage do vary. .

Reply to
johngdole

The average is...quite a bit lower than that. I suggest you at least replace the hoses.

Reply to
mjc1