Best Camry Years?

We may be replacing our '95 sedan, and I want to know which years are the *very best*, from 1998 through, say, 2004. I've heard that the
'97-2000 series is all fine, and that the 2001 is problematic. (Please don't tell me you have a 2001 and love it - I realize that not all cars for a given year are bad.)
Add pictures here
✖
On Feb 17, 5:38 am, "mjc13<REMOVETHIS>"

Id say 84 and 91.
Add pictures here
✖

We have a '97 with 141K miles now, with no complaints. Perhaps its being a "J" car from Japan has been a benefit, but I dunno. Oh...one problem - the clock no longer lights up. : - )
Add pictures here
✖
mack wrote:

My '96 camry is at 132000 miles and working great. Yes it's a "J" car but they are better built then the domestic ones.
Add pictures here
✖
babbler wrote:

Thanks for the responses so far. What about the 2002-2004 models?
Add pictures here
✖

I have similar problem in my '95. Clock dimms unexpectedly or goes away. Looks like a dry solder joint or something like that.
Add pictures here
✖
I had a 2001 LE 4cyl auto for about 50k miles and it was OK. No major problems, however at about 20k the power driver seat started to rock at starts and stops, Toyota replaced the seat tracks under warranty. After the warranty the CEL came on and a sensor was bad, and it wasn't cheap to replace - about $300 if I remember correctly. Other than that, not bad, I didn't like the seats, uncomfortable on trips. Good gas MPG, Cheap tires OEM.
Now I drive a 2005 LE 4cyl Auto, 27k, and like it but it has had some issues. 1) The power driver seat rocked at starts and stops, took it in twice and they wouldn't replace it the first time. Second time it was getting really bad and they agreed to replace it. 2) Bad rattle from the chrome trim piece under the shift handle, took it back 3 times to have them fix the shifter bezel and PRNDL lamp after they screwed that up fixing the chrome piece (Dealer issue, they did some free service to even thing up) 3) The speedometer reads 10% high (checked by radar, GPS, and stop watch) and Toyota says that 10% error is acceptable, still fighting that one. 4) The steering started to make a clunking sound when changing turning direction and Toytoa replaced the intermediate steering shaft under a TSB. 5) The power moonroof would not close in the correct position, and the dealer fixed that under warranty.Other than that the windows collect dirt at the seals and sqeak and need to be cleaned often, and some rattles and squeaks in the dash. The tires, as on most LE Camry's are very poor for snow and rain. At 27K the Continentals are pretty much history. I will need to replace them before the next winter.
The good part on the 2005 is that it is comfortable and gets good all around gas mileage (the ODO is accurate) 31mpg mostly highway. Nice MPG for a family sized car with a generous trunk. I liked the 2001, but like the MPG and size and comfort of the 2005. Hopefully the troubles (except for the spedometer) have been resolved and I can enjoy the car for a while.
I don't think they make'em like they used to, but the newer ones do have some nice comfort features.
Reb

Add pictures here
✖
You make it sound like Toyota is back to making cheap tin cans again. ;)

Add pictures here
✖
On Feb 17, 3:38 am, "mjc13<REMOVETHIS>"

2002 was the first year of a new generation and it had some issues. Nothing horrible, but a few issues. Those were pretty well-cleared up by the '03 model release.
I think "I heard" about some problems with the '04, best bet would to be look at the TSB's for each year.
Add pictures here
✖

My Camry is of 1998. I drove 456,000 km (285,000 miles) so far without any major problem. I drive at propane.
Add pictures here
✖
I have an '02 LE 4cyl. 105,000K No probs. Had a valve cover gasket done, that's about it. Also a "J" car. Nice thing about the '02 4cyl, timing chain, no belt. Good for 400,000k

Add pictures here
✖
Murcatroid wrote:

Thanks, to you and everyone else who has responded.
Add pictures here
✖

Have you come up to any conclusion? :-) What have you decided to buy?
Add pictures here
✖
Pszemol wrote:

It's going to depend on finances, but most likely a '99 or 2000. It is also possible - although I hope we don't have to - that we will spend about $1500 to refurbish the current '95 sedan for another 2 years or so. That would be the cheapest option, and things like the radiator have already been replaced. That would be rebuilt front axle sets, alternator, starter, belts, hoses, and brakes.
Add pictures here
✖
Could also check the TSB titles NHTSA site. Details need to pay on AllData, but at least the titles and summaries should give a good idea of what may be wrong.
The thing with old cars is that ALL the rubber parts are at or past their useful life.
On Feb 29, 4:22 am, "mjc13<REMOVETHIS>"

Add pictures here
✖

What is the average life of the radiator rubber hoses? Or - high voltage spark plug wires?
I have '95 camry with 240 thousand miles with original hoses & wires...
Add pictures here
✖
While not specified I personally change the hoses out at 100-120K miles. It's cheap insurance. Tires for instance are recommended in the owner's manual to be replaced after 6 years because of rubber aging. Timing belts 5yr/60K miles or 6yr/90K miles depending on model year. Some people also run original timing belts to well over 200K miles. I just wouldn't do that, but people's mileage do vary. .

Add pictures here
✖
Pszemol wrote:

The average is...quite a bit lower than that. I suggest you at least replace the hoses.
Add pictures here
✖
Didn't know the 01's had problems. Mine (J vin number) is trouble free for 137k miles. Is there a recall ? I only had a tail light bulb go out on me so far. The rest has been scheduled maintanance and I've been hit 2 times in the rear..
I picked an 01 over the redisign 02 because I didn't like the bigger size of the 02. And the 07's are a battleship to me. I test drove the 09 corolla and it's almost the size of my 01 camry. I'll probaly get a corolla next..
Add pictures here
✖
You know, I thought the last year of a production series would be the most reliable. I guess Toyota's cost cutting never stops.
Check www.nhtsa.gov for vehicles affected:
Make / Models :          Model/Build Years: TOYOTA / CAMRY          1998-2001 Recall Number:     01V012000 Summary: VEHICLE DESCRIPTION: PASSENGER VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH CRUISE CONTROL AND V6 ENGINES, AND BUILT AT ONE OF TWO LINES AT THE KENTUCKY PLANT. THE ACCELERATOR CABLE HOUSING COULD BE DEFORMED AT THE CRUISE CONTROL ACTUATOR-TO-THROTTLE BODY CONNECTION. THE ACCELERATOR INNER-CABLE COULD WEAR AWAY AND EVENTUALLY BREAK. Consequence: THIS COULD ALLOW THE THROTTLE TO RETURN TO IDLE OR REMAIN IN ITS MOST RECENT POSITION REGARDLESS OF ACCELERATOR PEDAL OPERATION, INCREASING THE RISK OF A CRASH.
Make / Models :          Model/Build Years: TOYOTA / AVALON          2001 TOYOTA / CAMRY          2001 TOYOTA / SIENNA          2001 Recall Number:     01V072000 Summary: VEHICLE DESCRIPTION: PASSENGER VEHICLES. THE FRONT SUB FRAME ASSEMBLY HAS NOT BEEN ADEQUATELY WELDED. Consequence: THIS CONDITION COULD CAUSE FAILURE OF THE ASSEMBLY FOLLOWING LONG-TERM USAGE, INCREASING THE RISK OF A CRASH.
Make : TOYOTA     Model : CAMRY     Year : 2001 Manufacturer : TOYOTA MOTOR NORTH AMERICA, INC.     Mfr's Report Date : MAR 02, 2001 NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number : 01V072000 N/A NHTSA Action Number: N/A Component: STRUCTURE:FRAME AND MEMBERS Potential Number Of Units Affected : 545 Check to Request Research. Submit below.     Get Summary
Make : TOYOTA     Model : CAMRY     Year : 2001 Manufacturer : PRO-A MOTORS, INC.     Mfr's Report Date : MAR 21, 2006 NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number : 06E026000 N/A NHTSA Action Number: N/A Component: EXTERIOR LIGHTING Potential Number Of Units Affected : 61944 Check to Request Research. Submit below.
On Mar 19, 9:00 pm, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (O O) wrote:

Add pictures here
✖