Squeeky RF wheel impreza GX '98

Gday all..

I have an Australian '98 GX Impreza sedan with about 180,000 klm on the clock..

Recently i have been expeirencing a squeeking noise from the right hand front wheel during straight line driving beyond 20Kph and also left hand turns (when the right hand front wheel is expeirencing heavy load)

But... usually... the noise goes away during a right hand turn (where the right hand front wheel is unloaded.)

During straight line driving the noise is there about 80% of the time at any speed.

I know this is nothing to do with my brake pads contacting the disc's as the squeel doenst change pitch or volume if i ride the brakes a bit, or tap them, or even when comming to a stop (untill im travelling below 20Kph where the sound dissappears).

Does any one have any theories to what this could be.. and if it is something simple, possibly guide me to a solution.. *im kinda hoping its a tree branch lodged somewhere * Even if its not that simple.. any suggestions?

Thanks heaps..

James Melbourne Australia.

Reply to
Grug!

On two separate occasions we had a similar noise on our '98 Forester. In both cases it was a small pea sized stone caught between the rotor and the metal shield. The shield seemed to amplify the noise.

Woody; 95FXDS

Reply to
Woody

Thanks heaps for that.. looks like a nice day comming up tomorrow so ill whip the wheel off and see what i can see :)

As usual though the minuite i mentioned it on here the noise went away.. so will have to wait for it to re appear..

Will let you all know how i go. James.

Reply to
Grug!

You should not have to take the wheel off. Turn wheel all the way to side, take your hat off and stick your head down in there. You should be able to see between the inside shield and the rotor. Oh yah, set the brake first.

Woody; 95FXDS

Reply to
Woody