Help needed with carb swap, '84 GL

Hi All!

I'm hoping someone here can provide some help with this. I have an old GL wagon of indeterminate vintage, but the _current_ EA81 engine/carb/emissions system is from an '83. Alas, the beast has the Carter-Weber carb, and I have been woefully unable to get it to pass emissions this time around (high CO at 2500 RPM). There appears to be an intermittent issue in the mixture control; duty solenoid/ECU/O2 sensor/???, sometimes it will work fine, more often not. If nothing else, the last go-round I seem to have killed the ECU (popped a fuse, now the mixture LED never lights), and haven't had any luck finding a replacement; it's _special_ :-P What I would like to do is use the Hitachi carb/ECU from an '84 GL. The '84 system doesn't use an O2 sensor, but rather has a separate module that connects to the carb via several vacuum hoses which presumably adjusts the mixture in response to ambient air pressure and temperature. Does anyone have any nfo on this newer system that might help in sorting out the vacuum hoses and ECU wiring changes needed to do the conversion? Any assistance greatly appreciated. TIA.

ByeBye! S.