Honda HRV Wheel Bearing

Hiya

Am getting a wheel bearing noise (gets louder/higher-pitched as you go faster, stays on when you drop clutch,) on my newly purchased second-hand Honda HRV. (1999, T.)

I have bought the part, but the mechanic and I are having difficulty deciding which side it needs to go on..

The noise SEEMS to be coming from the right, but then you sit on the right so that's no great indication - the noise is ON when you drive straight, and MORESO when you turn right. The noise goes OFF altogether when you turn to the left.

It's in to be done tomorrow morning (Monday,) so any definitive answers would be greatly appreciated by then!

Thanks in advance

Reply to
smokinfish

are the tyres identical left and right, size, make and wear? because the CRV suffers from a differential noise when the limited slip bit is operating and I would guess that the HRV is similar.

If it is wheel bearing then if it gets noisier when you turn right it will be the left hand bearing (as that is getting all the weight transferred to it by the cornering.)

Reply to
Mrcheerful

If it's the bearing, which sounds likely then that'll be the left hand one that's dead.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

My money is on the RH bearing. I have had many discussions on this recently with a mate. We disagreed about which side the bearing was away on in his van but he was wrong.I`ve done three bearings on three different motors in the last two months and been right three times. That`s not to say that I will be right this time :-) He now has a word for deciding which side to do. WONG =3D Weight On Noise Gone.

Reply to
mark

Why not just do both and be done with it?

Reply to
Ron Lowe

Cos it's twice as expensive?

Reply to
Duncan Wood

That's the exact opposite of my experience with every single one I've ever changed, but I'll wait for Mr C to comment. The more you load a knackered bearing the noisier it gets.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

My experience too, every time, if it is the bearing then adding load will always increase the noise. I had a weird one once: noisy front wheel bearing which went much quieter when it rained, really noticeably so. Never come across it since.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

If the bearings truly knackered and just doesnt require repacking with grease and the nut retightening wont the wheel have movement in it when its lifted off the ground

Reply to
steve robinson
[...]

Not necessarily; in fact, bearings can get slightly tighter as they fail. However,you can sometimes feel the roughness that is causing the noise if you spin a wheel when raised off the ground, especially if it's a non- driven one.

IME, it's always been the side that's noisiest when you turn away from it, as Mr C has said.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Modern 'one piece' bearings don't tend to develop a lot of play when they first get noisy, it is usually noisy first and if ignored long enough it may get floppy or best of all, seize and then get incredibly noisy and floppy in a few moments.

I sometimes have the wheel spinning and use a mechanics stethoscope to confirm wheel bearing noise, sometimes it can be hard to tell if it is one or two bearings just by driving sound.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Thats always been my impression however there is always the exeption

Reply to
steve robinson

When i change bearings i will as a matter of course change all on that particular wheel, its a false economy otherwise and experience has taught me if one is on the way out then the other is not far behind .

Reply to
steve robinson

No I did not mean change half a bearing set, I meant that sometimes both left wheel and right wheel bearings can be noisy at the same time, which can be difficult to tell just by a drive.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

True but then its probably a sensible thing to change both

Reply to
steve robinson

Not with the parts cost and time involved on some modern vehicles.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Well, the plot thickens - the new bearing went onto the left wheel, but hasn't stopped the noise!

Also, I have been informed that on the HR-V unchanged diff oil can lead to a "bearing type noise" up front, so next Monday, the right bearing will be replaced, along with the diff fluid.

If neither of those fixes it, then I can only assume it's a rear bearing?! Time will tell.. These bearings are £50 each, and £50 a time to put on!

Reply to
smokinfish

The diff noise is usually only apparent when turning fairly sharply. If it is diff noise then it may need changing a couple of times, you must use the genuine Honda oil which is about 10 quid a litre, you need about 1 and a bit per change.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Reply to
mark

You`ve already wasted money fitting the bearing to the wrong side,are you going to chuck some more away changing the diff oil? :-)

Reply to
mark