P38 Rangie donk, donk, donk noise - driving me nuts now!

OK, now I've got the engine replaced it was time to sort the other faults. Most were minor and now done, but there's a noise that's driving me nuts! Been steadily getting worse over the last year. While driving, there is a constant donk, donk, donk. Only while moving, it is fairly quiet in a straight line, bit more noticeable driving left corners and very noticeable on right corners. Varies with road speed not engine speed or which gear I'm in, still there if I coast in neutral, doesn't go with brake application. Guessing it's donking about 2 or maybe 3 times to each road wheel revolution. I can estimate it's coming from the front of the vehicle, but hard to tell, though I can slightly feel it through the steering wheel and the floor, especially when going round roundabouts. No shaking of the wheel or anything that drastic, but can feel the donking. Easier to hear with the windows closed.

Can't detect any play or roughness in any wheel bearing front or rear, prop shaft UJ or diff/gearbox flange (at least not evident by hand), though the front left wheel bearing (and CV) were changed. Noise persisted. Mechanic friend swore it was the front diff, changed that for a recon unit, noise persisted. Ahhhhh! What's making my donk, donk, donk????? I've even changed the transfer box front output shaft bearing as there was slight play in it. Wasn't that either. I don't think it's the viscous coupling as there's no tyre scuffing or squealing on full lock in car parks etc. I'm guessing it's something on the front as changing steering input alters the severity of the noise. So what is it???? It's driving me nuts!!!

Alan C

'98 P38 4.6 HSE '87 Rangie EFi Classic

Reply to
alan.cutler

snipped-for-privacy@bbc.co.uk uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Reply to
Lee_D

snipped-for-privacy@bbc.co.uk uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Not familiar with the P38 diff lock (if any?) set up but can you drop the front prop of and take it for a run?

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Lee_D uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Another thought before I retire... deformation of the tyre?

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

I think I can remove either prop and drive on one axle, haven't tried it yet. Hmm, deformed tyre, that's possible I guess. Had 2 new front tyres recently, noise was there before, so I'll take each rear off and swap for the spare, see what happens.

Alan C

Reply to
alan.cutler

Nooooooo, don't do it!! It'll bugger the viscous coupling up.

Reply to
SimonJ

Alan,

I had a similar annoying noise on Piglet. Turned out the brake pads were lifting and dropping back....worth checking you don't have a sticky caliper or a slight deformation on the disc....

Reply to
Neil Brownlee

Shocker bushes? Loose prop or joints?

Martin

Reply to
Oily

It could easily be a well shagged CV joint Alan. They usually make a sort of loud tick, but if it's gone good & proper it could be that. It would fit with wheel rotation & possibly side deflection etc?

Very possibly a well fecked UJ too. they can make some real bad noises!

Nige

Reply to
Nige

loud tick, but if it's gone

side deflection etc?

I'm assuming the problem is on the front as steering input alters the intensity of the noise and can be slightly felt through the steering wheel. As mentioned, I've changed the N/S/F wheel bearing (that wasn't fun, 50 ton press and oxy acetylene) and CV, even though we couldn't find any play what so ever. A worn CV would click on full lock, mine don't, and anyway, you can feel play in a worn one when taken off. I've changed the front diff and in so doing removed both hubs and CVs (again). While they were off I rechecked the O/S/F for play in the bearing and CV, can't find any. The prop shaft UJs are fine, but a worn joint would cause a constant drone sort of noise, and much faster than I'm getting? I don't think it's going to be suspension bushes, they wouldn't make a rhythmic noise? You can see why it's driving me nuts now! And making huge dents in my pocket with the expense of needlessly changing bits. I'm now wondering about tyres, I'll swap one at a time with the spare. Could be brake discs/pads, but very unusual. Guess I'll put new discs and pads on next then :(

Alan C

Reply to
alan.cutler

Full set of discs & pads wont cost you £100, a bad tyre wont do anything until it meets critical mass time. As in the speed makes up for the out of alingness. I had a full set of unblanced wheels & tyres on mine & it wobbled like f*ck, but no noise!

I dont suppose you have a badly bent wheel clipping the calipers etc. Even a well twatted whell can still balance mate.

BTW, my car does make a noise in car parks on full lock, I have NEVER had one that doesnt.

Nige

Reply to
Nige

Nige uttered summat worrerz funny about:

I'm not too proud to say I've had a loose wheel cause similar noises in the past...comes with the job though.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Just swapped all the wheels one at a time for the spare, noise didn't go away, so it's not wheels or tyres. Don't think it's anything catching, I've looked and looked and shaked and wobbled. I'm thinking of changing the front prop shaft UJs now, even though we can't feel any play in them. There's nothing really left that's not been changed now! Just the prop UJs and brake components, but I really doubt it's the brakes.

Alan C

Reply to
alan.cutler