Subaru Baja

Have just spent an interesting 3 weeks in Texas. (I am from Australia). On the last day I was there, I read a survey on the front page of the Houston Chronicle on the Best and Worst vehicles in America. It stated that the best pickup truck was the Subaru Baja. I thought this a bit strange as having just spent three weeks in the State of the Pickup Truck I didn't even see one Outback let alone a Baja. What's the story, anybody see this survey? By the way, out of the 20 categories of motor vehicle, Japanese cars won 17 of them.

Reply to
Phil

Found it!

Oscar_Lives

Consumer car-buying is rarely done on anything like a rational, well-informed basis. You also get a lot of people patriocally sticking with domestic brands, even if they're mostly made in Mexico, Canada, etc.

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark T.B. Carroll

Reply to
Rebecca B.

Being from Texas, and a Subaru owner, my take on this is that pick-up trucks are part of the culture down here, and the bigger the better. You can't imagine how many soccer moms drive extended cab duallies but never get them off road or do any real farm or ranch work with them. And a diesel engine is more impressive it seems. Like another poster said, too, it's a patriotic thing, even though many "foriegn" cars are now made in America. But then again, I'm no sociologist.

Reply to
Mike Rezsutek

I agree. The Baja is sometimes called an Avalanche 'wannabe'. But, it is a rare animal period. I don't theink they sold more than 700 or so in any year model.

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

You should read the article again. The Baja was rated "most reliable". , not "most popular". Big difference.

Reply to
Ragnar