Subaru Forester - Name that Sound

I have a 1998 Forester. I get an annoying "droning" sound coming from the rear/back end of the car. At first I thought it was tire noise. The noise seems to get louder with increasing speed with the max around 55 mph. Around 60 mph the sound actually decreases. The shop rebalanced/rotated the tires... they thought it was possible related to the rear differential. Any thoughts or suggestions? How bad, i.e. expensive, is it if the probably is related to the rear differential? Thanks...

Stuart

Reply to
S. Hurwitz

Edward Hayes

Reply to
Klaus Sturm

Wheel bearing.

Reply to
Chris Phillipo

OK, I didn't notice your post before posting mine.

My 95 Legacy auto got similiar problem. At first it's some "clicking" noise from the rear rigth side. It sounds like gear noise, so my friend told me it might be rear differential. Now when I step on the gas or let go, I can hear some howling or growling noise. I guess this is what people talked about "torque-sensitive", right?

So is this a bearing problem or differential problem? Thanks.

Sam

Reply to
Sam Li

I sort of had the same problem on my Ford Mustang (while I was thinking that Mustang is the best car ;-)) and then Popular Mechanincs explained it all.

Search Popular Mechanics' web site

for "Replacing U-Joints". I'm not saying the U-joint is the culprit, but it could be some of the stuffposted in this article. "Shaft Shivers" is the title that caught my eye. I would've past the web link but it is so @#$%$#@ long so I'm leaving it to you to find it.

Hope this helps.

Cheers, Voja

S. Hurwitz wrote:

Reply to
Voja

I had that sound with two of my cars (none of them Subarus). In one case it was differential wear and the other it was the in tank fuel pump (I don't know if Subaru puts the fuel pump in the tank). In both cases the problem was never fixed and the part outlasted the car.

Dave

The Worlds Uncensored News Source

Reply to
Mettlesmertz

I would've past the web link but it is so @#$%$#@ long so I'm leaving it to you to find it.

try

to shorten those longer links, but thank you for responding anyway.

Reply to
WRXtreme

Don't dismiss something simple like the roof rack. Had a crossover been changed in position from the factory setting? I was told that it was tuned for minimal sound. It reminds me of a howl that the roof rack made when put on on my Dad's 1948 Pontiac. Another possibility is a diverter above the hatch.

Reply to
Steve Bukosky

I want to thank everyone for their suggestions... Just got the car back from the shop... it was the right rear wheel bearing (about 95k miles). It's now pleasantly quiet.. at least as quiet as it once was...

Stuart

S. Hurwitz wrote:

Reply to
S. Hurwitz

Glad you caught it before it exploded and caused all kinds of havoc.

What'd the repair cost ya?

-- Todd H.

Todd H.