subaru generator

I have been shopping for a new genset. We have the cheapo Briggs and techomsa ones the mid priced Kohler and Briggs vanguard and the top of the line Honda. Today I saw a 10HP Subaru powered one. Didn't even realize they made the small engines. Anyway it was the same price as the cheapest Briggs ones. This is new to my area has anyone used a small Subaru engine product?

Reply to
calhoun

Fuji Heavy Industries have been making very good small engines for a long time. They have been sold in Australia for 40 years as Robin engines, now they seem to be called Subaru. FHI have also made aircraft engines for a very long time as well, and they are very popular in ultra-light aircraft. I suspect that Subaru cars are only a small part of FHI's business turnover.

They are very highly regarded and good quality, like the cars. I once knew a small engine mechanic who reckoned that the Subaru/Robin small engines were the best of the lot.

Dave

Reply to
Coggo

If you look at them see if they use a 1800 RPM shaft speed. The major problem with the briggs and or tech units is they run at

3600RPM for 60Cyc output. At 3600RPM it's beating itself to death, loud and NOT neighbor friendly.
Reply to
Mortimer Schnurd

Robins were sold in the US as well, so this name change may be world-wide.

Reply to
Ken Finney

I have seen power washer with Subaru engine in US quite recently at Home Deport.

A.

Reply to
Andy Leszczynski

We have a pressure washer with a subaru engine. it is VERY nice! I'd buy a subaru generator w/o question...

Josh Assing

In Australia we have many small machines powered by Robin motors, which are in fact Subaru motors. I am referring to the likes of cement mixers, compactors, pumps etc. Have never heard a bad word said about these motors and have never experienced any problems with them myself. Just like my 05 OBW, 'perfecto'.......

Reply to
Phil

They're 3600RPM.

Reply to
DS

Harbor Freight carries several Subaru Robin- engined generator sets.

Reply to
CompUser

The Robin/Subaru engines are very nice qlty. A lot better than many B&S and even some Honda's. Nice big ballbearings on both ends of the crank. NO internal plastice parts doing any work like with some of the smaller engines. Engines come with 2 yr warantee even in commercial service.

I've got a small one and consider it the best small engine I've owned. Very little mechanical noise which you will find on many small air cooled engines.

Mickey

Reply to
Mickey