93 Subaru Legacy: Moneypit or not?

Hi all, I hope it's okay to post this sort of thing here, can't find a better place to ask about old Subaru's.

Just totaled my 97 Honda Accord with less than 90K on it (I owned it less than a year, never really liked it much, reliable and all that, just wasn't me I think, need a better winter car too), other guy's fault he missed the stop sign. I'm in much better condition than the Honda, but I really wanted an AWD Subaru anyway, with the nasty winters we get up north.

So, I found this ad on a local website:

1993 Subaru Legacy Wagon. Tan/gold color. Four door, all wheel drive, automatic transmission, power windows, power locks, cruise control. The car runs great and has had no major mechanical problems. It has nice tires and a new exhaust. This is the best car for the money. Looking to sell soon.

Mileage: 165,000 Year 1993 Make : Subaru Model Legacy Wagon Condition: Good Transmission Automatic Exterior Color: Gold/tan Engine Interior Color : tan Body Style4 door wagon

2500 OBO

I'm looking to go cheap, paid 7K for the Honda and never felt it was worth it. I can find many Legacys and Outbacks in the area, newer and a little less mileage for around 4-5K. Like to keep it under or at 4,

5 tops and that would be more than I care to spend really (wished I'd kept my GEO!)

Any opinions on whether this year is a good one? Am I buying a money pit? I have heard about old ABS, and a few other things at Edmunds and epinions, but I'd rather spend a couple hundred a year maintenance than waste money on a newer vehicle and lose value. I'm cheap... ummm thrifty. Are the 93 Subaru's as safe as the newer ones? I believe it has an airbag, man that came in handy in my bang up yesterday. Poor little Accord!

Thanks again, I want a safe car, AWD, reliable with decent mileage and cheap! I want it all baby!

Is there a lot of scheduled maintenance coming up at this mileage? I'd look myself harder, but I'm feeling the accident, I'm exhausted and medicated and ready for bed.

Ranking

Reply to
Ranking

Looks affordable and close to the right price from what KBB.COM says. You are buying a heavily used car and it might die the final time soon

Reply to
Ralph E Lindberg

Indeed for any used car that old (14 years!) its care history and present condition mean much more than the repair record for the model. I also think the auto-trannies in that year range (Rick - anyone?) MAY have had the aluminum 'sleeve'/whatever in the transmission/clutch pack that fails. Either way, I think I'd definitely want to have a good mechanic ,very familiar with Soobs, to inspect it. And I'd want to have $2k in the bank in case something major failed.

is populated with many experienced folks keeping older subies on the road. Might even get a recomendation for a local mechanic over there.

good luck!

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Hi,

I don't remember which was what as to "good-bad" autos back then, but I do remember seeing several posts about automatic transmission problems in the early '90s models.

Personally, I'm not a fan of autos, and don't remember seeing any that "got better" w/ age, especially the electronic ones. So I'd second the suggestion for a complete inspection by a qualified "Subie familiar" mechanic! Or look for a car w/ a stick?

Rick

Reply to
Rick Courtright