Subaru Liberty (Legacy) 2.0R

Hi,

In Australia, they've recently released the 2006 Subaru Liberty (Legacy) 2.0R. It's a DOHC engine and the specs recommend premium unleaded gas of octane 95 or higher.

Does anyone know the implications of running it on lower octane gas, other than performance?

Regards,

Han.

Reply to
han_chung

As the Late (and great) Possum Bourne once said to me " it'll ping the tops right off your pistons"

Regards,

H.

Reply to
Holly Wood

If it has a knock sensor, as most modern engines do, it should just be a performance/fuel economy issue. (Does somebody know for sure whether it has one?) I would use premium at least during the break-in period though.

With some engines people have found the effect of relying on knock sensing to retard the timing makes it about as economical to use premium as regular.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Running on lower octane will cause it to retard the timing, and reduce power output, and increase fuel consumption - it's cheaper to run on the good stuff - don't be so tight!

Allan :-)

Reply to
Allan Williams

Off-topic but I should point out that in my family we refer to our cars as Rus, The Red-Ru and the Maroon-Ru have replaced the Blue-Ru which suffered a bend right front everything.

Reply to
jacklinthicum

The implications are that you wont get the performance you bought with the car for. It will ping, it will stutter it may become a death trap because of its poor performance. It will use more petrol than if you use premium.

I suspect that you're trying to save money by using 91 octane.

I can't believe you spent $30,000 on a car and need to save 10c litre to run it it.

Sell the car!

han snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Reply to
Tony Burns (permanent dismisse