What is the easiest way to make pure ethanol?

Is it down to the level of purity of distillation? I'm assuming a sugar rich animal feed like mollases soaked oats could be formented into a "beer" then distilled into a spirit? Would it be possible to include veg waste like peelings and outer leaves in the initial "mash"?

I've made beer before, and we covered simple practical distillation as a school project. just wondering about a practical alternative to petrol using a ECU remap and considered a home achievable equivalent of biodiesel for petrol engines. The biggest issue would be components that might react to the alchohol. More of an issue with Methanol than Ethanol, but still worth considering. With bigger injectors and a remap to take care of the extra fuel needs, the higher octane of Ethanol over unleaded premium would be a performance advantage. if you were to start with a small capacity car, the need for larger injectors could be easily taken care of by using those from a larger capacity engine, if you start wth a car fitted with Bosch components.

Reply to
Elder

It would cost more to make than you'd save.

HTH.

Reply to
SteveH

Yes, you can go to 96% alcohol using distillation iirc.

Yes.

Yes but not if it was for drinking. Such items would form methanol, which is poissonous.

Wrong: the biggest issue is quantity. The proces of fermeting stops around 15% alcohol which leaves you to extract the alcohol or in other words: you need to get rid of 85% water.

In order to get a tank of 50 l alchol you will have to distillate 380 l of "brew". Getting rid of 330 l of water costs energy too.

South America fuel is blended with alchohol (out of fermeted sugarcane). Their cars do not have special mods for it.

Alcohol , biodiesel etc are -on cost analysis- no substitute for normal petroleumbased carburants. Even without them being taxed (in Belgium 70% of the fuleprice are taxes) biodiesels / alcohol are more expensif tham petroleum derivates.

Tom De Moor

Reply to
Tom De Moor

Homer

Reply to
David Billington

Depends. Animal feed is very cheap. At some auctions, "horse" carrots and potatos are pennies a sack. very rich in sugar. It should be possible to grow your own yeast for fermentation. "beer" or "wine" as a base would be suitable, wine better than beer due to the higher initial alchohol.

Depending on how seriously you want to take it, that would depend on the cost. As an experimental project initially it might be do-able. Even declaring duty on it, it would be as a fuel, not a drinking spirit. something small like an early corsa, a Felicia, or a Polo.

Simple injection engine, known conversion process to a megasquirt and easy to source bosch injectors.

It seems to be quite a popular conversion on US cars with carbs in states where they have no emission controls, and sensible booze duty. they sometimes even distill store bought beers to make ethanol.

Ethanol is about 110 octane but like LPG, has a lower calorific value so requires more to richen the mixture enough. Unlike LPG it doesn't require massive pressurisation and careful handling.

Reply to
Elder

Hmm, in the UK aftertax, biodiesel tends to be about 5-10pence a litre cheaper than petrochemical diesel, depending on the markup the retailer wants to make.

Home making it, and paying the VAT and Duty can be be about 20p a litre cheaper than petrodiesel.

Don't know about ethanol, because while it is available, it is dearer than super unleaded because of the economies of scale with there only being something like 15 outlets in Morissons supermarkets in the south east and only 1 volvo, 1 saab model, and 1 ford model available in the UK can use it as standard.

Reply to
Elder

Cheers. Hmm, other sources thanks.

It'll probably just end up as a research project for a while. something to make notes on, and try to work out what changes would be required.

Eventually though I would like make at least one batch to see how the process of production works, then experiment on getting a simple small car to run it with minimal bolt on modification, and then tuning.

Reply to
Elder

I'm thinking about how you're going to distil tens of gallons of the mix to get enough ethanol out to make it to the shops and back.

It's the distillation that's going cost you lots - especially at current energy prices.

Reply to
SteveH

Aha, I have seen that age a few years back when the chip fat craze started.

"It will cost about $1.10 to $1.20/gal to make the alcohol from various feed-stocks like corn, barley, potatoes, or Jerusalem artichokes. " looks interesting. Jerusalem artichokes are dead easy to grow, like spuds. But they keep growing and coming back. once you start you will get more and more. Which is ideal for fuel.

Reply to
Elder

I'm thinking solar energy. at least as a partial source.

Reply to
Elder

A butanol reference that I bookmarked

As others have said distill>>

Reply to
David Billington

I like it. Thaks. Never thought about the vacuum idea. Although I have seen it used in Phasechange PC cooling to reduce the boiling point of ammonia within a heatpipe to draw heat away from the CPU slug where it is cooled at the top of the heatsink by a fan.

Using pressurisation to make it boil, then using heating cooling creates the phase change and makes it a natural cycling heat pump.

Reply to
Elder

Elder wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.individual.net:

What's wrong with just drinking the bloody stuff, eh?

Reply to
Tunku

From your other posts I have the feeling you are a Google Gary, who knows very little about vehicles, tuning or engineering of any kind................

This drivel really does prove my feeling is quite correct, as it does strongly suggest your knowledge is sadly lacking, and in common to the idiots that have responded you are not averse to making a fool of yourself on here!

Finally how do you "remap" an ECU for the requirements of a specific engine, without a programmable ECU, and extensive dyno testing? Do you actually believe the bollocks in the chav "chippers", blurb I wonder?

Reply to
Ken

Nothing....................if you would like some and are also a smoker, I will send you a gallon!

Ken

One wonders if you have any direct experience of testing engines running on fuels with high ethanol content?

Perhaps you would be able to overcome the problems encountered by "re-mapping" the ECU?............lol

Ken

Why not pipe what comes out of your mouth in to a holding tank, and use the resulting gas as a fuel?

Ken

That works fine with you, but not normal people

Mike

Reply to
Mike

I read somewhere that methylated spirits was ethanol with "poison" added to deter people drinking the stuff ? Coloured blue to warn the thirsty ?

H.

Reply to
howard