2008 Impreza with DOHC ??

I am interested to buy a Subaru Impreza. The basic version 2.0i with a SOHC engine will suit me well in terms of equipment and trim. However, I want a more powerful engine like the one the sports version 2.0R has (a higher-powered 2-litre DOHC engine with variable valve timing and electronic throttle control). But the 2.0R comes at a steep price increment with little of equipment improvement, which represents a lower value for me.

I've heard there will be an all-new Subaru Impreza in 2007 (based on a shortened wheel base of Legacy/Liberty). I think they have to introduce double camshafts, VVT etc into their engines in order to keep up with the rest of the market. Should I expect that all Imprezas (both basic and premium versions) will get the DOHC engine which the 2.0R model now has ? A basic version with a 2.0R-style engine would be perfect for my needs.

Thanks.

Reply to
minnesotti

Sounds like you need to call Subaru and ask the question. Or get a run out deal on the old model.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

Perhaps someone from OZ will chime in. As for what might be available in the US market, a good resource is

.

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Are you in Australia? I just bought a 2.0R for A$31,000 on road including a few extras they threw in for nothing, window tinting, alarm and a CD stacker. IMO the A$6000.00 price difference is well worth the money. Ours has done less than 1000klms so far but so far my wife and I both think its the best car we have ever owned.

Daryl

Reply to
D Walford

I'm waiting for a new Impreza (non-turbo) as well.

Subaru, if you're listening I want:

  • 2.5L engine
  • minimum 120kW
  • minimum 240nm torque
  • smaller and lighter (why do they keep making them longer and wider?!?!)
  • no more than k AUS

Reply to
cpu

Why?

118kw from current 2.0R is close.

186nm from the 2.0R isn't all that bad.

Its not exactly a big car, any smaller and it would be tiny.

I think you will be waiting a long time.

Daryl

Reply to
D Walford

But it's a heavier car than the 2.5L RS it replaced.

Which is huge and noticable drop in performance from the 225nm from the 2.5L RS.

It's way too big for a small or medium size car. Smaller, lighter, better performance is the way.

Manufacturers are losing the plot.

Reply to
cpu

Starter motor power. ;-)

Reply to
Dan---

Not enough leg room for me in them.

Manufacturers don't lose the plot its the people who run them do.

Reply to
Dan---

Not according to road test reports I've read, its a more "peaky" engine compared to the RS which requires a different driving style if you want the most out of it but its still no slug for a na 4cyl.

Too big? Its a little wider than our Corolla but the Corolla seems to have more rear seat leg room, I certainly wouldn't have bought it if it was any smaller.

I think its cheap for what you get.

Daryl

Reply to
D Walford

It actually feels quite torquey, I can go around corners in 3rd that I would have taken in 2nd in the Corolla. Performance is about power to weight, your Calais needs a lot of torque because its as heavy as a battleship:-)

Daryl

Reply to
D Walford

Plenty of room for normal people:-)

Daryl

Reply to
D Walford

No such thing as normal people. :-p

Reply to
Dan---

you mean midgets and dwarfs.

Reply to
atec 77

I thought that about our Golf 2.0FSI Sportline. Definitely better than a Liberty 2.0R which I did take for a test drive.

When we bought our two Astra a few years ago we didn't even bother to sit in a Golf and boy do I regret it.

I am unashamedly flying the VW flag.

Ben

Reply to
Ben Thomas

**FWD = gay Therefore, Golf = gay. Except the AWD variants, of course.

I find it slightly amusing that many young people have never driven a RWD automobile nowadays. They have no idea what they're missing. Perhaps they're just all gay now.

Reply to
Trevor Wilson

Me either. I was interested in the Liberty GT or 3.0R until I sat in one and discovered the incompetent interior design with too little seat travel and the dashboard I banged my knees against.

Marco

Reply to
Marco

Must be.

I will definitely test drive the new Torana if Holden ever makes it. They better call it a Torana.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the only RWD cars that are close to Golf sized are BMW 3 series and Lexus IS250. Both cost heaps more for the same accessories and performance (as Golf GTI).

AWD alternatives are generally less fuel economical.

If I was single I'd probably be driving a Skyline R32 GTR, or maybe a Lotus Elise - anything fast and uncomfortable and certainly not gay. :)

Ben

Reply to
Ben Thomas

The 3.0R-B would be my pick easily just a shame about the interior space. :(

Reply to
Dan---

My R32 GTR was pretty comfy.

Fraser